Mid Range Headphones - What to choose

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by harrycobbold, Dec 27, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a pair of mid range over ear headphones ( something between £50 - £120 ) for just general use (music/films/etc) and I've done a lot of looking around and its quite obvious that there are quite a few to choose from, can anyone recommend any?

Noise Cancellation isn't a necessity but is always nice to have

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

Harry
    :apple:

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

Sony MDR 7506 is pretty popular on filmsets. that's what i always use.

3. macrumors 65816

FX120

The three "standard" monitor headphones I have run into most often are:

Sony MDR-7506
    AKG K240
    Audio-Technica M50

Out of all of those the M50's are my current go-to monitor headphones.

4. macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I'm not sure if you could find a good enough deal in the UK to get them into your price range, but the AKG K701/702 can be had in the US for under $250, and they're absolutely fantastic headphones. Open back, so you need to use them in a relatively quiet environment, but the sound has met with approval even on audiophile forums.

5. macrumors G4

Sweetwater is selling the K240 for $99. I think they will ship international.

I've had a pair of K240 for more than 20 years. I like them enough to have just
    bought a second pair when I noticed the $99 sale price.

The best description of the K240 sound is that they sound like you don't have headphones on.

6. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love my SRH840s, review here.

7. macrumors 6502a

The MDR-7506 is reliable and very good value. Great for editing where much detail is needed, though a little sharp and bright for me when used for general listening.

I was disappointed with the M50. Nice build quality but a bit lifeless and one-dimensional in my system. I prefer the Sony to these.

I spent a little more in the end and settled on the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pros, and I couldn't be happier with their detailed, refined and smooth sound. Extremely comfortable and easy to drive too. Strongly recommended as a big improvement on the other two mentioned if your budget can stretch to just below $200.