Mid Range Headphones - What to choose

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by harrycobbold, Dec 27, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase a pair of mid range over ear headphones ( something between £50 - £120 ) for just general use (music/films/etc) and I've done a lot of looking around and its quite obvious that there are quite a few to choose from, can anyone recommend any?

Noise Cancellation isn't a necessity but is always nice to have

Any help appreciated

2. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    Sony MDR 7506 is pretty popular on filmsets. that's what i always use.
  3. macrumors 65816

May 18, 2007
    The three "standard" monitor headphones I have run into most often are:

Sony MDR-7506
    AKG K240
    Audio-Technica M50

Out of all of those the M50's are my current go-to monitor headphones.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2009
    I'm not sure if you could find a good enough deal in the UK to get them into your price range, but the AKG K701/702 can be had in the US for under $250, and they're absolutely fantastic headphones. Open back, so you need to use them in a relatively quiet environment, but the sound has met with approval even on audiophile forums.
  5. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Sweetwater is selling the K240 for $99. I think they will ship international.

I've had a pair of K240 for more than 20 years. I like them enough to have just
    bought a second pair when I noticed the $99 sale price.

The best description of the K240 sound is that they sound like you don't have headphones on.
  6. macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2008

The MDR-7506 is reliable and very good value. Great for editing where much detail is needed, though a little sharp and bright for me when used for general listening.

I was disappointed with the M50. Nice build quality but a bit lifeless and one-dimensional in my system. I prefer the Sony to these.

I spent a little more in the end and settled on the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pros, and I couldn't be happier with their detailed, refined and smooth sound. Extremely comfortable and easy to drive too. Strongly recommended as a big improvement on the other two mentioned if your budget can stretch to just below $200.