Midge Ure announces Band Aid 3

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Oct 21, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Just seen him on ITV News, he's gathering up todays latest and greatest with those of the original one to begin work on Band Aid 3, with a 3rd version of the single to target the crisis in Sudan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3759130.stm

Could it match the success of the original??

Thoughts??

2. Badradio macrumors 6502

A re-release seems a half-assed attempt at raising some cash. The success of the original was a result of people wanting a souvenir of the all-day concert. That was the event. I didn't even know they'd redone it once before it was that low-profile.
    With some great bands lined up, they should do a concert - that'd be worth contributing to, instead of some twenty-year-old rehash of a so-so song.
    Twenty years... thanks iGav: I'm feeling old now.

3. dogday macrumors member

dogday

I wouldn't be suprised if a concert was done.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

twenty years on!! hahahaha I was 7 in '85 when the concert happened, and I can still remember watching it on TV!! :D

atleast they're re-recording the song... Midge was saying just remixing and remastering the original wouldn't work and wouldn't be relevent to todays kids... as he said though it's not the best song ever written, but it was the best of the bunch and sadly is still relevant in the 21st century :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3762998.stm

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

I was 10 - just old enough to enjoy the show but not old enough to stay up until the end. :mad:
    It just seems that with Chris Martin on board and Justin Hawkins maybe involved, coming up with a new song couldn't be too hard. If Chris Martin can afford to give songs away to his mates in Embrace, seems he has some time and talent to spare.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Well it looks like the names are beginning to flock in... I wonder if that's because they know what happened to the artistes in the '80's that had refused to participate!! Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarn (Gorillaz), Dido, The Darkness, Coldplay, Keane, Travis with U2, Radiohead and Robbie being possibilities...

I wonder if they'll get any of the originals in, like George Michael the Durannies etc etc??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3943933.stm

I wonder if they will follow up with Live Aid like '85 though... certainly Wembley wouldn't be able to hold it... but a Hyde Park type thing (it's got the capacity for 100,000+ would probably work well enough...

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think it is a good idea but could they atleast sing another song. whatever they perform i'm sure they will do well!

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If they want to be really relevant to today's 13-29 year olds (in the UK) they had better get some 'urban' acts in (I hate that label) as well as a bunch of white mainstream acts...

Ms Dynamite, Dizzee Rascal, So Solid Crew... I could imagine they'd also be up for it.

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

nooooooooo, they are not really liked it is just the scallys who think they have to like them. they are s***. they are sooo cool, waht a load of rubbish. they cant sing and shouldnt be in the charts as what they create is rubbish. sorry. i'm against all this garage culture rubbbish.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yawn... you obviously know a lot about music, pal.

11. russed macrumors 68000

russed

no i just hate the way that the bbc think as a few people like garage that we all think it is great. how about a bit of rock? i even prefer a bit of cheese to that!

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

If they get in contact, I'm sure they'll be welcomed with open arms... although not so sure about 'So Solid Crew' :p

It's funny that you bring up the white mainstream acts... the first Band Aid was (by some quarters) labeled as being racist because of the lack of black artistes involved in it's creation. Yet ironically the 'Big' black artistes of the day wanted nothing to do with it... Jackson, Wonder, Ross etc.

13. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Oh, yeah. I'm sure it won't be commercial or overly-promoted, forced BS at all. I mean, it's not like we live in a world marketing and political interests can't wait to get their hands on stuff and exploit it for all the air-time and hype they can suck out of it. Oh, wait....

14. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

whatever...

why don't you go back to your trailer park and listen to your Lynyrd Skynyrd 12"s... ;)

peace :)

vSpacken

15. russed macrumors 68000

russed

who's he? probably a bit before my time! :)

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

hahahahahahahahahaha :p

They should get the Poppies in to spice things up... :D

17. Badradio macrumors 6502

PWEI involved with a Christmas no 1? Guess it could happen - they're forecasting a white Christmas after all.
    I'd love to see it, but it would take some marketing spin to sell that one ;) Would make up for them not adding Manchester to the reunion tour... almost. :(

18. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Do they know its christmas time at all... feeeeeeed the woooooooorlldd, let them know its christmas time, haha good stuff ;)

19. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I heard Band Aid 20 (as its being called) on the radio this morning. I was a bit disappointed really and I don't think it's as good as the original.

Those that wanted some 'urban' musicains involved will be pleased to hear Dizzee Rascal rapping in the middle, but to me that is just a wierd section that doesn't fit at all. I suppose it brings it right up to date and if it means it makes more money then thats great.

I think they should have recorded several versions and sold them all - a cheese version (maybe just the original), a rock version, a boyband version, urban version, and a quality version with those people who can actually sing. Then put them up against each other and see which sells the most. With a bit of marketing (a la Pop Idol) it could have been fun. Imagine if it had filled positions 1-5 in the charts - now that would have been impressive!

Anyway, has anyone else heard it? What do you think?

20. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i did nt think the song sounded too great as the original. the first one was really catchy but that just seemed a bit disjointed as they had to get all the different people in.

21. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

yeah you're right - thats exactly what it sounds like. They've tried too hard to get everyone in instead of just making it sound good.

22. russed macrumors 68000

russed

right have just heard it for the 3rd time today. it is rubbish. it will do well and i will probably buy it but its rubbish.

its noise, you cant hear the words (the bit you really should be hearing in the song)

and what is dizzee rascal doing in the middle. i wish he would shut up!

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Whenever I hear about Band Aid, I'm reminded of the article that appeared in The Onion (where one Ethiopian child they interviewed was quoted as saying, "I'm so hungry, I don't even know if it's Christmas time at all"). If only their archives were available online for free...

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Motion seconded.

Motion passed! :D

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Very worthy cause.

Very crap record.

It was crap 1st time around, crap 2nd time around and it's crap now.

It'll sell by the truckload, but not as well as the 1st one.

Now, if Geldof could find a way of preventing the governments in the famine areas from embezzelling all of the aid money, we might get somewhere...

...and will someone PLEASE tell Dizzy F*ckwit to shut up, I can hardly hear the sublime widdlings of the Hawkins brothers under all the "cred" rapping. ;)

(I hear Bono flew back from ireland to re-record his line after Justin Hawkins tracked a blinder that everyone thought sounded better!!)