Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRedBlockhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I just picked up an apogee duet and I'm very pleased with it. In case you don't know the volume knob can be assigned as a midi controller and I'm interested in using it to skip/jog tracks in itunes but so far I've found nothing on the subject. Any suggestions?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
iTunes can't directly, but there's nothing stopping an external program with a MIDI software interface from controlling iTunes. It would probably be quite laggy though, and as far as I'm aware, nothing exists...

Wolfgang

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
I bought an M-Audio Xponent a bit ago and wanted to use it to do the same thing. I found this software called midiStroke which takes the midi messages and converts them to key strokes. So you could assign whatever your knob sends when turned left to the left arrow and right to the right arrow. It's not super easy to use if you dont have a basic understanding of midi, but I'm sure you could figure it out. However, the knob would only change the tracks in itunes if iTunes was the active program, unless you have a universal hotkeys plug-in of some sort.

You also may need Midi Monitor to find out what exact messages your Duet sends.

Good luck,
Wolfgang

RedRedBlockhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks this is pretty cool! What I really want it to be able to do is get it to recognise the increase or decrease in numerical value of the signal sent as to give me a right or left arrow respectively. Do you know how?

Wolfgang

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Yea, I would love to be able to implement my midi knobs some how also, but I have yet to find a way to do that. I just used the buttons. Sorry I can't help you out with you knob.

If you find anything though, be sure to post it as I, as well as I'm sure others will benefit from it.

Good luck,
Wolfgang Devine

Addidis

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Yeah its slim pickins

I design midi controllers among other things , so far the best I have come up with, is rather than coding the hardware to be a midi controller I have been faking HID class , faking a keyboard... This doesnt work for many reasons, most already made this post.

Sure would be nice of apple to code this in them selves. Microsoft too, their volume control should support this vanilla .... It should also function on a minimized window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.