MIDI Keyboard Buyer's Guide for Mac Users

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 9, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    A nice helpful guide to new music makers.
    I am quite happy with my M-Audio Radium 49. There are more than enough knobs to keep a n00b like me busy yet still not be too overwhelmed. I probably won't be ready to upgrade for a long, long time.
    Now, if I only had more free time to play with it.
  3. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    After much research, the M-Audio Keystation 49e seemed to be best for me as a very BASIC user in GarageBand. As a non-musician I'm quite happy with it although the keys did have stiffer springs than I expected.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Wow, i'm surprised no Rolands were mentioned in the digital piano category. They used to have a completely different algorithm for generating the sounds of each note (as opposed to other manufacturers such as Yamaha). I haven't kept up with DPs, but Roland used to be the gold standard.

The one thing about the low end m-audios (keystations/radium) is that the touch is very very poor, even for nonmusicians I would think. That said, it's a bargain, and I own one and am happy for the utility work I do on it.

However in a gig situation (actual live performance), I would never dream of using this lower end of the lineup.