MIDI Keyboard query :S

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Noir-Addict, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Noir-Addict macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    Auckland New Zealand
    I have a <a href="http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Musical_Instruments/Standard/CTK-551/">casio keyboard.</a>
    And have had it for a while (a bout 4 years).
    But in the past couple of years i have gotten really involved in using Garageband and record daily on it.

I have just realised that my keyboard has a MIDI in and out.
    My friend (a garageband user also) has an M-audio MIDI keyboard that links with Garageband and allows him to record software instruments on this little keyboard of his.

I was wondering what i would have to buy to be able to this with my keyboard?

Thanks if you can help.
  2. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

You need a USB MIDI interface.
    M-Audio make some pretty cheap ones, the Midiman 2x2 is good.
  3. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    What does this add? I just plug my keyboard straight in via a USB cable, am I missing the possibility of additional functionality?
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Standard MIDI uses a different wire protocol (and different cabling), your keyboard happens to have the adapter built in. It's no difference to you unless you have more MIDI-capable toys.
  5. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    You'd plug the MIDI out of the keyboard into the interface then connect to the computer via USB.
    You'll be able to play the software instruments in GarageBand using the keyboard. The Casio send velocity info via MIDI which is good!
  6. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    Thanks for the information.