midi keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mmmdreg, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I have little idea about this but say I got a midi keyboard of sorts, what else would I need to use it? would I be able to hear stuff I play right on? What programs etc?

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

You can use a Midi keyboard for about any audio program out there these days .. Ranging from Garageband over Logic to Ambleton and so forth ..

There are also other MIDI enabled controllers such as the Chaos Pad ..

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...you can buy "midi keyboards" that have lots of built in sounds, or you can buy one that just transmits midi data to other devices or programs on your computer (like Garageband, Reason, etc etc). If you can give us a better idea of just what you would like to do/accomplish and what your budget is like then we can probably give you a better idea of what direction to look in....oh yeah!

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Some MIDI keyboards have USB connections that transmit MIDI directly to the Mac without the need for a MIDI interface, however, if you intend to use MIDI hardware (synths, samplers, drum machines etc.) you'll need an interface. The Midiman 2x2 is cheap and efficent.

If you intend to use Garageband, Logic, Reason etc. as your sound source, get one of the M-audio USB controller keyboards.

5. Xerocs macrumors newbie

6. fwhh macrumors regular

I also own an Oxygen8... if you just need some keys thats the choice. Really simple to install and use. Perfect match with the 12" Powerbook.