MIDI set up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rozwell, Oct 30, 2004.

1. rozwell macrumors regular

so im getting into MIDI more and more. now i am ready to buy some gear, i already bought DP from my uncle, because he upgraded to a new version so i got that cheap. but what exactly do i need? as far as a synth i dont want to spend a huge amount, and i was really thinking something vintage, because they just sound better to me. analog synths are not out of the question either...

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you can always just buy a midi controller keyboard and use software for all your synth sounds - it can be cheaper and take up a lot less room that some of those old analog synths. M-Audio, Edirol and others make USB/Midi keyboards of all sizes, from small 25 key jobs up to 88-key weighted. There's tons of great software for generating sounds - Reason (from Propellerheads) can do just about anything and can ge integrated into DP fairly easily. If you want some excellent analog stuff - look at Arturia - they have software versions of Moog Modular, Minimoog, Yamaha CS80 and coming next month Arp 2600. I've got the Modular and Minimoog software and they sound fantastic - and they are endorsed by Bob Moog himself...each can be had for just over $200US. I would also recommend looking at the forums over at OSXAudio.com as these topics are the "specialty" over there (not to say that this forum is not great too though!).

Lastly, not to put a damper on your acquisition of DP, but if your uncle upgraded to the new version that does not entitle him to sell the previous and MotU may not take to kindly to that......oh yeah!