midterm predictions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 6, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've got the house going to the dems, and senate remaining in GOP hands.

dems will pick up only 2 senate seats, in PA and MO. races in OH, MT and RI will be laden with scandal, but will ultimately go to the GOP.

dems will barely get the house majority, i'm guessing they'll pick up 18 seats. again, allegations of dirty tricks and vote suppression will be widespread. i reckon we'll see from the right what we saw in 2000, which was shrill ridicule for even considering court challenges.

i do, of course, hope i'm being madly pessimistic. but tonight i'm feeling like a realist.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Probably because dirty tricks and voter suppression will be widespread.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

where there's smoke...

... there's a GOP operative burning absentee ballots...

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For sporting purposes, I will predict that the Democrats gain 20 seats in the House and three in the Senate.

5. Motley macrumors 6502

My guess is that the Dem's don't get enough candidates to take over the house or the senate. There will be much bitching and allegations of fraud, but nothing will come of them due to our "oh, shiney" short attention span media (and public). Bush will make a stupid speech about freedom and terrorists and moral values, or some such crud.

Accordingly, Jon Stewart will have great job security.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

hmmm. there will be dirty tricks happening on both sides. but thats politics isnt it.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

making any calls on which 3?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

so who is less evil? I bet you say "GOP", lol

I predict dem gain 25 in house, and 6 in senate.

9. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

what would be awesome is for the Democrats to win the house and start investigating Rumsfeld's conduct of the war. A censure or (and oh how I would LOVE this) an impeachment of Bush for deliberately misleading the American public re: the Iraqi invasion would be sweet.

having said that, I agree with the above: Dems take the house, though not by much. Maybe pick up a seat or two in the Senate, but that's all.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Democrats gain in the range of 25 to 35 seats in the House and pick up 6 or 7 in the Senate. Senate pick ups include Pennsylvania, Ohio, Montana, Virginia, Missouri, and Rhode Island (shaky.) The possible seventh seat is either Tennessee (from early voting and a large black voter turnout) or Arizona (surprise pick of the night.) The Dems hold in the close races in New Jersey and Maryland. Democrats take both houses of Congress. Bush declares martial law. ;)

The last part is for everyone wearing tin-foil hats.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

no, i would say both sides suck.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sherrod Brown has been ahead of Mike DeWine in every Ohio poll, often by double digits. No way will Ohio's next senator be Republican.

I say: Dems pick up 29 seats in the House, five in the Senate.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Does any of this matter if you've still got Dubya sitting on the throne with the power of veto?

If one man has the power to pass or not pass legislation, why do you need the houses?

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

each house of congress has the power to create legislation -- the executive branch cannot do so (signing statements and other ******** aside). it's also possible for congress to override a veto.

there are other oversight duties assigned to congress, and only congress has the legal power to remove a president.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, i'm aware. but it's ohio.

i hope i'm wrong, but i don't think brown has a shenanigan-proof lead.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I believe that is the first thing we have ever agreed upon here, but the Republican side seems to have a lot more stories of fraud lately. Like cutting off Jim Webb's last name on some of the Diebold machines owned by Republicans, Robocallers pretending to be by Dems even though they're paid for by the RNC, sending out mailings saying people will be arrested if they try to vote, requiring certain forms of ID some poorer people don't have, boy the list just goes on. Sure Dems have ads trying to scare people and lie about things that aren't true, but Reps have that too, so I'd call that a draw.

Dems take the House, but not by as much as some would hope, and a good showing in the Senate. I don't know about the Gov races. I only know Arnold will win the one here because the other guy is awful and now he's pretending to be a lot more of an indie than he really is. :(

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

The Democrats have their collective heads up their @sses, but I'm so tired of Republican scare tactics. "Terrorists, gays, Mexicans...boogity boogity boo!" They want me to believe I should be as uptight and paranoid as they are. Get real :rolleyes:

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now thats called "muddling"
    its like
    A robbed a lady in the street
    B killed a homeless people
    You say "they both criminals" which is right
    but when ask you to vote, pick one, you still pick B, now thats confusing, both suck, for this country, you still need to pick a one suck "less".

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not that Nancy Pelosi is someone whose word I'd trust, but:

Link

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

She couldnt do anything anyways and she knows it. Republicans run the Senate and most of the democrats in the Senate are prostitutes to the corporations who own all those guys. Plus with Bush having less then 2 years and draft dodger Cheney as the next President it would all be a waste of time & money. Now if somehow Democrats ran both houses this would all be different.

21. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

impeachment proceedings are conducted by the House, independent of the Senate. The Senate votes to convict.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pennsylvania and Ohio seem like a lock for the Democrats, so those plus one of the toss-up seats (take your pick, but I don't think they get Missouri or Tennessee and probably not Rhode Island).

The way the congressional districts have been so expertly gerrymandered by the Republicans I think the opportunity for a real Democratic blowout this year are less than they were for the Republicans in 1994.

I'd be perfectly happy with a small Democratic majority in the House and a very closely divided Senate. The division would certainly take symbolic but otherwise politically divisive (and suicidal) issues, such as impeachment, off the table. It would force Democrats to do in the House what the Republicans have refused to for the past six years: talk to the other party. A larger majority might tempt them to conduct House business as a come-uppance. If voters see Democrats behaving in a purely partisan and vindictive fashion for two years, it would position them very poorly for 2008.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No predictions here. All I know is that my taxes are still too high and will remain so.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I predict Diebold will keep Republicans in control of both the House and Senate.

25. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Looking in from the outside here, and hearing the data from polls on the BBC, I'm hoping that both House and Senate will go Democrat, but realistically I think if anything changes control at all it'll be the House.

I do desperately hope something changes, because I don't think wall-to-wall Republican control is doing the US, or the world, any good. We need more balance.