Mifi and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by t0mat0, Feb 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

t0mat0

Use a mifi? I haven't really it seen mentioned, but surely using a mifi might be an option if Apple doesn't have a CDMA compatible iPad?

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That or an equivalent form T-Mobile or Sprint (if they have them) will be the only way. Apple and Verizon- not going to happen anytime soon.

3. macrumors demi-god

Sure, the MiFi works with virtually any WiFi-enabled device, like the iPad.

The drawbacks (to me) are that it's a separate device that has to be charged-up and carried around, it requires a contract, and the monthly data rates are at least 2x more expensive than AT&T. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

If you're going to use the MiFi with other devices, those might not be major drawbacks. But for just an iPad, there's no way I could justify that.

4. macrumors 6502

One other thing to consider is that the MiFi device has recently been revealed to have MAJOR security problems. I don't know if they have been resolved yet.

For me the biggest hassle would be having to keep both devices charged all the time.

5. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

The Verizon mifi is a finicky little device sometimes.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? From this forum, I would have thought Verizon crapped gold and sent it to their customers each month, in lieu of a bill. :D

7. macrumors 6502a

Not mine! The first MiFI unit I had MUST have been defective. I quickly got it replaced via overnight delivery while vacationing, and haven't had a moment's trouble since I got the second unit. Like Apple likes to say, "it just works".

8. macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a MiFi on Sprint (work pays for it) and find it to be a fantastic and versatile device. If I had to pay for it myself I can't say that a single use like the old concept of making an iPod Touch=iPhone (sorta) or now making a WiFi iPad=a 3G iPad would justify the costs. However, if you have a handful of needs for it (other family members using it in a car, frequent traveling, enabling several WiFi only devices, etc.) in can be extremely useful. I haven't had a bit of trouble out of mine.

9. macrumors member

Mifi and iPad

For those of you considering using a MiFi with your iPad I have a question? How do you get past the requirement that you have to install the VZAccess Manager Since there isn't a version for the iPad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

10. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

If you have a computer already, all you need to do is activate it once on vz access manager. After that when you hit the power button it is just like a normal old wifi hotspot and no need for vz access manager. :)

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors 68000

This is the first time I've heard anything about MiFi but after reading on the web some, it sure sounds interesting. If I got it, I could use both for my iPad as well as my wife's aging laptop. I looked at Verizon though and the monthly service charge looked very expensive. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

13. macrumors member

Well, if all you have is an iPad then it doesn't make sense. But if you also have a laptop and need connectivity on the go then this might work for you. I am still trying to decide which way I want to go.

14. macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I work for Verizon and IMHO the data charge per month is just absolutely rediculas... Its the same as at&t's but 60 bucks a month for 5gb cap is just insane to me. There is a lower 40 dollar plan for 250 mb but hardly any verizon will sell you the mifi on that plan.

15. macrumors 601

You guys are not up to date.

The Verizon MiFi allows you to use up to 5 devices per MiFi device which is included for 40$ a month plan for 250MB and 60$ for 5GB (they call it unlimited).

Which means, you can use ipad, macbook pro, iphone with the same plan. So it's far cheaper than owning a data plan for the ipad and iPhone separately.

The MiFi basically takes a 3G connection and output a WiFI AP for those devices. The software isn't required past the first time configuration on a Mac or something like it.

More info here.

16. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pardon my interruption. I thought it said Milfs and iPad.

Carry on.

17. macrumors 6502

I personally have the Sprint MiFi and depending on your area and coverage Verizon is faster. The plans on Verizon and Sprint cost the same $59.00. If you have strong Sprint coverage and available 4G coverage this is what you want
    http://mobilebusiness.sprint.com/br...rive?id9=SEM_Google_C_Sprint_Mobile_Broadband

18. macrumors 6502

All carriers have a cap except Clear Wireless which piggyback off of Sprint.

19. macrumors 6502a

Did too, for me as well...:D

I guess we read what we need to read!:cool:

20. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I bought the Verizon MiFi 2 weeks ago in anticipation of getting the iPad WiFi. Had an iPhone but my company issued me a BBerry, and I got tired of carrying two phones. And AT&T got too greedy with the iPhone data plan, the iPad data plan, no tethering (and extra charge for tethering when it comes out supposedly). With the MiFi I connected my Archos 5IT, my HP 2140 netbook, my PSP, my iPhone (sans SIM card) and any other WiFi device me or my wife or buddies have (up to 5 at the same time).

I have to say though, as small and convenient as it is, it is not as convenient as having a smartphone on you all the time. I miss my iPhone a bit. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I was wondering this myself thanks.

22. macrumors 68000

Unless you already have it, then get the Sprint Overdrive. Even if you don't live in a 4G city, it's still possible you might pass one during travel (then again, the Overdrive is a little more expensive than the MiFi).

But yeah, I was thinking of carrying around that and the iPad Wi-Fi, but it seemed like it would be annoying.

If you're getting it for both the iPad and maybe a laptop, then it's definitely worth it and it works!

23. macrumors regular

The only downside I can see to getting the Overdrive over the Mifi would be the weight. You could conceivably put the Mifi into your wallet and barely notice, it is so light. However at more than twice the weight, the overdrive might start to feel a bit heavy and bulky. I've been thinking about replacing my non-Apple phone with the Mifi and using Skype with my iPod Touch (and possibly as a wifi hotspot for a future iPad), but I'm now reconsidering and will check out how the Overdrive feels next time I'm in a Sprint store. Also, since I'm in a 4G city, it really does make sense.

24. macrumors 68000

If I could easily use a mifi in my home instead of cable I would consider getting one. Maybe if they had a dock allowing for enhanced coverage area. But as it is...4 hour battery life, and basically still requiring me to have in-home cable modem for my PS3/Netflix streaming, TiVo, and the like...as much as I like the math, it just doesn't work for me :(

25. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Netflix streaming and the 5GB cap of the MiFi just dont mix... ;)