Might Mouse Not Scrolling Down

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Guitarius, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

So for some reason, in a flash, my mighty mouse decided not to scroll down any more. I doesn't click when I scroll down, almost like whatever it rolls to scroll down isn't getting rolled. It'll catch and roll for a little, but keeps slipping. It rolls up, left, and right, but not down.

First off, does anyone else have this problem, if so can I fix it? And if I can, is there a way I can open it up and take a look at the insides?

2. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

it just happened to me, but just started working after i quit safari.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Yeah same thing here. First time it's happened and it's been fine since I restarted Safari.

4. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Nope. Didn't work, even rebooted the machine. Like I said, it feels like it isn't catching like it does in the other directions.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've seen a lot of other people complaining about this problem. I think it's a mechanical problem. It kind of worries me because I just bought a Mighty Mouse. Anyway, most people seem to be saying that rolling it around and pushing on it will eventually get it to go back to working, at least temporarily. You might want to contact Apple about it.

6. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah, that seemed to have worked for the short term. I would contact Apple, but I got nothing but the damned mouse to proove I own it. All my reciepts and warrenty stuff was in a file cabinate that I lost in the hurricane. Think I can still get if fixed?

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's worth a try. I have to figure that in a circumstance such as yours, they're more likely to be understanding. In any case, there isn't a Mighty Mouse in existence that isn't still under warranty.

8. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Guess that's true enough. I got it working again, but if it messes up again, I'll give 'em a call.

9. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

i have the same problem. i have to click on it a few times (press down on the scroll ball) to get back full functionality.

This goes back to my original theory, that given some time with the Mighty Mouse, the scroll ball will collect gunk, oil, and residue from daily usage thus dirtying up the inside mechanism.

It is a matter of time when the mouse will stop functioning via the scroll ball.

Mark my words.

10. diddy macrumors 6502

Happens to me too. Last time, I rubbed the ball furiously with a rag, and some gunk came off of it. The ball changed colors. It was pretty dirty.
    This seems to have fixed it, but I still may call Apple and say WTF.

What a silly flaw.

11. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

If only there was a way to take them apart and clean them.

12. NullSpaceKid macrumors newbie

Blow Off Duster

This nonscrolling down behavior just happened to me, and restarting Safari or rebooting was no help. What worked was taking a can of compressed air and spraying it inside the mouse while depressing the little mouse nipple. For good measure I also blew out the USB plugs and now everything is working great.

13. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I had this problem too at one point.. If I remember corectly I got frustrated and gave it a good hard scrolling (if that makes any sense) and then it worked!

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This just happened to me a few minutes ago :(. Doesn't bode well for the long term reliability of the Mighty Mouse. Mine is only 8 days old. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work again, so I came to this thread to post. After reading your post, I scrolled back and forth really fast while pressing pretty hard on the scroll ball, and it's working again...for now.

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

worked for me too with a rag ^_^

16. Yaja123 macrumors regular

has happened to me a few times now... its not looking good for the future

each time id lick my finger lighty and then give the ball a good rolling :rolleyes: and it seems to do the trick.

but it just happened again and i did the air compression inside the ball and it worked.

I guess ill wait a month before my warranty runs out send it back and get a new CLEAN one. I think its justified since there is no real way of cleaning properly

Its a def problem that needs to be addressed.