Mighty lame mouse.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by narco, Sep 18, 2005.

1. narco macrumors 65816

narco

First off I'll say that I loved the Mighty Mouse. I deactivated the second button and used it strictly for the scroll wheel, scroll button and side buttons. It really is what I have been looking for, but while still using the one-button style I've been used to.

A few days after I purchased the Mighty Mouse, the scroll wheel stopped scrolling up. I posted a comment in the "Mighty Mess" thread, received a few suggestions that didn't work, so I just took it back and got a new one.

Now after 3 days of use, it won't scroll down. I can't be the only person experiencing this -- I mean, two faulty mice in a week's time?

Fishes,
    narco.

2. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Sadly, that's the risk we all take with any electronic product, but especially with first generation apple products. I'm going to wait until the RevB MightyMouse

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

No problems here either. *knocks on wood*

The best part about it is that fact that you can set it up different for different accounts. I set mine up so that when i log in i can use the second button, but for my grandma, who is just learning on a computer, the one button and scroll wheel is more then enough for her.

Sorry about your bad luck!!

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i have never had any problems with my mighty mouse. sorry to hear about your case, it sounds like really really really bad luck. i prescribe shouting and letting off steam at some poor innocent apple tech support rep. :D

tastic.

NB: shouting actually solves nothing. actual amounts and colours may vary, always read the label. compassion sold separately. small parts, choking hazard:D

tastic (again)

6. Zim Bargo macrumors member

I've been having problems with my Mighty Mouse also. Like you, loved it when I got it (and still would if it worked properly) but now it randomly activates expose and/or dashboard. the cursor also occasionally jumps to the other side of the screen. And it's got nothing to do with the way I'm using the mouse or accidentally triggering the buttons.

What's is even more frustrating though, is that I took it back to the Apple Store on Regent Street but they wouldn't swap it for a new one as the problem only showed up more than 2 weeks after I bought it. In order to get it exchanged I would have to make an appointment at the Genius bar. Now I've had experience of the genius bar when the hard drive of my Powerbook recently died on me and it took me days before I was able to actually secure an appointment, which ended up being at really inconvienent time of day. I didn't mind so much with the hard drive as there could have been other problems that they could have found, but this mouse is faulty and I want it replaced quickly and without inconvience.

This is where Apple really fall short if you ask me, and it really isn't that difficult a problem to solve - I thought they were committed to enhancing the consumer experience!

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Working fine for me - and my kids abuse it every weekend when they play World of Warcraft :cool:

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i've got nasty sweaty hands ... eat at my computer and abuse my MM; and so does my daughter. For some reason it just keeps on clickin'.

im happy with it. :)

sorry for your inconvenience.

peace | neut

9. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

hated the MM from the first second i laid eyes on it...would never waste the money on it...too many problems and when i went to demo it at the apple store i was VERY disapointed...a mouse should be easy to use and free of problems, a multi button mouse is not a difficult thing to make correctly, save the time and money and get a Logitech mouse

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Likewise.

Mine seems to work well on both OS X and Winders XP.

I guess it is to be expected with Rev A products regardless of the manufacturer...unfortunately.

Sushi

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I have not had a problem with my mighty mouse since i got it

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

no problems on the mice at Selfridges. and all the electronics on show get a beating there! the 17" Powerbook is next to destroyed.

13. Chamir macrumors newbie

Well you don't have to go to genius bar to get it replaced you can also call apple tech support and they will replace it for you. You should sit infront of the computer before calling them tough because they proberly want you to make some troubelshooting over the phone. A replacement should be pretty easy. You get a new one at the address of choice so if you work you can choose that address. A replacement should come within a few days a and then you send back the old mouse within 10 days upon delivery of the new one. Remember to have credit card available if you call apple about this. They want it as security so will send the old one back, if not sent back within the 10 days they will charge you.

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

coming from a logitech 510mx ... my tendons are thankful for the low curve on the MM. what's with the ergo-styling these days? the ability to click with the whole hand lets me click all day without pain.

regardless, my wacom tablet lets me stay pain free; **** mice. :D

peace | neut

15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i have the same problem, this mouse sucks in my opinion, its another triumph of style over function which equals bad design. And more importantly its not even good looking.

16. Ino macrumors member

I've had a problem where the Mighty Mouse refused to scroll down...the scroll ball felt didn't "feel" like it was moving the same as when it was working, so I just gave it a good hard press'n'roll, 360º.

That shouldn't have to happen at all...but at least it works fine again...whew!

17. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

My Mighty Lame Mouse has stopped scrolling up and down. My down scrolling went out a couple days ago, and the up stopped working today. The main use I have for an enternal mouse is for the scrollball, because I'm pretty quick with the trackpad, and pushing an extra key for a right click doesn't bother me.

This is not acceptable at all, seeing as I can get a really cheap scrollball 2-button mouse without any problem at all. I just had a little extra cash, so I springed for the good-looking mouse. And for a while, it was good, but now it's just pissed me off.

The thing is that it's not completely malfunctioning. Sometimes, it does scroll. But it seems as if something's not "catching" at times, and the scroll randomly decides to not work. This is very annoying, as I read a ton of digital material, and not having a scroll ball is a grand pain in the ass. :mad:

18. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

From the sounds of this thread, my results seem to be similar to everyone else's.

I just posted a long review (The "MouseTrap") of the MM over at my site, and found some really odd bugs such as downward scrolling (but not upward) being thwarted if the mouse pointer went over certain types of Google Ads in Safari.

Looks like other folks have gotten some really weird problems as well, and it's hard to tell if it's a driver issue, or a physical issue.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That one's not really specific to MM. I've had that problem in Safari with Logitech, Wacom and Macally scroll wheels.

20. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

really? that's very interesting to hear... so it's not the MM's fault after all?

21. Zim Bargo macrumors member

My whole point about exchanging the mouse was not that going to the genius bar was the only way to do it, but that going into the store where you bought it should be the quicklest, easiest way. That's the way it works in most otehr retail outlets. I know you can do it over the phone but, like you said that but it isn't the same day solution that we should be able to expect.

22. voiceofreason macrumors newbie

Bluetooth MM coming or MX100?

I'm a recent switcher, and my wife refuses to live with a 1 button mouse. I thought I was set with the MM, but it is wired. I'm guessing Apple will have a bluetooth version for the holiday season. My questions is with the mixed reviews on the MM, should I wait for the bluetooth version or just get a Logitech MX1000? Any MX1000/Mac compatiblity problems? My Windows friends tell me it is the best mouse ever.

23. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Mine's perfect with no problems whatsoever. My lady (a queen of the single-click and manual scroll) took no time at all.

If I came home and replaced it with a Logitech MX 1000 she smother my face with a pillow as I slept.

24. narco thread starter macrumors 65816

narco

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I have gone through THREE faulty Mighty Mouses. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm too hard on the scroll wheel, but I've had other mice with scroll wheels for years with no problems. The pro mouse my Mighty Mouse replaced has been used nearly every day for the past 2 and half years.

Maybe the Glendale, CA Apple store received a bad batch? Am I the only one?

Fishes,
    narco.

25. mandis macrumors regular

mandis

I'm having the exact same problem with my Powerbook although i don't use a mighty mouse! In fact it does it with any mouse that has a scroll wheel on it. At first i thought it was a hardware problem (faulty usb controler or something) but in the end i found that it was a glitch with my installation of OSX. The reason i say this is because the mouse works just fine when i boot from a cd or when i run Linux. I would suggest you do a clean install of OSX.
    ...or simply try your mighty mouse on a different system.