Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

I am thinking of buying the Mighty Mouse... I want a wireless mouse without a dock base that uses bluetooth and Apple's mice fits quite well in those features. But, what the people say about it? I heard some that say it is great, the best mouse ever... but other tell me that it is overpriced and that the wheel gets dirty very easy. And other deep doubt is if this product will be updated soon... I don't know how old it is or how long is its life cycle. Can anyone throw light on this questions? I would appreciate a lot.

Thank you very much in advance.

PD: Sorry about my english.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I say it's a good mouse but with it's flaws. I love it (yet I sent it in for warranty). The right mouse button sometimes stops working and dust can get in the scroll wheel and stop that from working.

luke23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
I say it's a good mouse but with it's flaws. I love it (yet I sent it in for warranty). The right mouse button sometimes stops working and dust can get in the scroll wheel and stop that from working.
Sound pretty "bad" for the price... I am full of doubts but I appreciate your opinion. Thanx. ¿Any news if it will be upgraded soon?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Check my blog for the info on my problems of my Mighty Mouse btw. Apparently apple has silently fixed the problems from Feb onwards, and I bought my mouse way back in October. So it might have been fixed.

rcm3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
I love the:

-portability
-battery life

I hate the:

-scroll ball (UP no longer works)
-right-click (you need to have your left finger up to right-click)

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
I bought a bluetooth mighty mouse to go with my new MBP. So far, I like it a lot. The scroll ball is really nice, as is the ability to recognize left, middle, and right clicks. I've heard that it has some trouble doing this for a few people, but with the way I place my hand on the mouse, it works perfectly 99% of the time. My only complaint is that it's really hard to use the side buttons, but it seems to be getting better with time.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Personally, I really dislike the Mighty Mouse. BUT, I have friends/family who love it, so it seems to be very much a personal opinion. I love my Logitech MX510 mouse (wired USB, but they make BT versions that are exactly the same which runs on a couple AA'S). My advice is to go to an Apple store or better yet a CompUSA and try a few mice out including the Mighty Mouse and see what you think!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I bought the Wireless (Bluetooth) Mighty Mouse to use on my iMac and I have to say I am disappointed. Tracking feels slugish, maybe this has to do with my office surface. When I put a piece of paper underneath it, it works much better. I found out that the wired version is just better...

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I've had mine for several months now and I still absolutely love it. I honestly wouldn't want to use any other mouse. As for the person above whos trackball stopped scrolling up, it's easy to fix. There's a document about it on apple's site.

Go for it...great feel...great everything.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
There's a document about it on apple's site.

In addition to this, I would say that you need to do some pro-active cleaning, say once in a month follow that cleaning procedure. The scroll ball should then work fine for a long time (but this is not to say that there is no problem with the scroll ball!)

The mighty mouse experience is addictive. You'll see.

luke23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you all!!!! :D :D :D

The problem is I really don't know what to do... :confused: Some of you say that is a great mouse, other say the opposite... Maybe the better chance is to get the MM in a department store where I can return it if I am not completely satisfied after testing myself.

The point for me is to get as many as possible opinions of users of this mouse...

Thanks again!

rcm3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Update:

I cleaned my scroll-ball per the instructions on apple's website and now she's back to scrolling with ease. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now my only remaining complaint is the necessity to have your finger off the left side in order to right-click. But honestly this doesn't take very long to get used to.

Nanaki

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Wow

I love the Mighty Mouse BT, but I too was going to complain about the scroll ball not scrolling up anymore. But then I saw here that you could clean it, and now the problem is solved! I definitely recommend this mouse. It's perfect except that the right click gets a few days of getting-used-to.

Also, some people complain about the side buttons, but I assigned them to my dashboard (something I only check maybe 5 times a day) and so it's not a problem. A little bit of a squeeze never hurt anyone. Those buttons did annoy me when I assigned them to expose though... I don't suggest that anyone do that. Keep it as dashboard or as an app switcher.

Overall, it's the best mouse I've ever used before. Battery life is about 2 1/2-3 months, it works on all surfaces I've tried, and now it scrolls so much better!

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I cannot stand mine. The scroll ball was always getting stuck, and I had to clean it so many times that now it simply refuses to work at all.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I cannot stand mine. The scroll ball was always getting stuck, and I had to clean it so many times that now it simply refuses to work at all.

Biggest flaw in it for me is the lack of programmable buttons when compared to typical Microsoft mice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.