Mighty Mouse a good buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RMD68, Feb 4, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I was looking through the Forums and I mainly found articles about the Mighty Mouse pertaining to the problem with right clicking. I am currently using a Logitech MX310 corded optical mouse. The mighty mouse seems quite intriguing and I was wondering if its a good buy? How is everyone else's experience with it?

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I found my MM brilliant. I got mine free from a friend who got a new Mac and didn't want it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I didn't have one.

Right clicking's fine but all you have to remember it doesn't work properly unless you take your finger off the left side - which becomes second nature after about 5min.

3. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent!:D I'll go down to the store when I get a chance.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I love it,

I know some people dont like it,

I do however think it is a bit over priced. If they cut the price in half, id say everyone needs one!

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    It is not a good buy IMO.

It is not a nice mouse to use, I wish I never bought mine.

It looks nice, and that's it.

Right click is a pain, the nipple scroll ball gets gunky and scrolls bad or stops scrolling altogether (happens more than it should) the squeezy things on the side get triggered all the time by accident.

I don't know, it looks nice, that's all.....IMHO

I wish i would have saved more $$ for this

6. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I still primarily use a 1 button mouse. But when I need extra things to click, I use a Logitech mouse. I feel that you'll get a better mouse from someone other than Apple.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Opinions divide on this one: some people like it some people hate it. You should try it hands-on before buying one.

Personally, I hate it. In my opinion, it is the most uncomfortable mouse to hold for any period of time longer than a minute or so, only "bested" by the infamous hockey puck flop. Besides, we have one MM at work hooked to a computer that is being used very lightly, and the scroll ball quit working twice in less than a year. (It was actually the MM that came with my iMac, and I immediately demanded another mouse).

I suspect that way fewer people would have liked the MM if it did not bear the :apple: logo. The logo itself brings some people to automatically like what the logo is stamped on.

Anyway, try it in person and see how you like it. If you do like it, then buy it. But I strongly discourage buying it blindly, just because of the logo.

9. flyinmac macrumors 68020

flyinmac

I believe that is a fair statement for a lot of things that the die-hard Apple people flock to.

It does amaze me to see some people defend all things Apple even when the thing they are defending is clearly not in the consumer's best interest. But, some people think Apple is the savior, and will defend them no matter what.

As for myself, I do like the Mighty Mouse (mostly).

But, it's not because of the logo, and it's not because it's a great mouse. I consider it a mediocre mouse.

So, why do I like it? It's the only mouse that doesn't hurt my hands after a few minutes of use.

The previous single-button mouse was very comfortable to me. And, I actually prefer it's clear shell to the Mighty Mouse.

But, I really missed the multi-button mice. So, I used a few 2-button mice from other companies to get by. But, the Apple mouse was the only one I found that was truly comfortable for me to hold and use (I have a lot of damage in my hands from manual labor work).

So, I was stuck. Comfortable, or functional.

Then, Apple finally released the Mighty Mouse. And, I thought I had found my cure.

Well, it is every bit as comfortable as the Apple Mouse before it. And, I got used to the right-click requiring you to lift your left finger. But, there are two issues that really bugged me:

1) The side buttons are not buttons but actually sensors. The clicking sound is electronically generated. So, if I got my fingers anywhere near the side buttons (which is hard not to do), then they would register as a click. So, I was always undoing or getting out of the feature imposed by the side buttons. So, I finally disabled them to restore my productivity.

2) I love the scroll-ball. But, it has gotten to where I have to clean it about every week (sometimes it will go two weeks). It didn't require cleaning for about the first 6 months. But, once it started needing cleaning, the cleaning sessions became more and more frequent. Sometimes it only takes a minute, sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get the ball rolling smoothly again. It rolls on sensors, so if there's oil from your fingers on the ball (and every human has said oil on their fingers), then the oil causes the ball to slip instead of roll and it doesn't register as scrolling.

Aside from those two issues, it's perfect.

The reason other scroll-wheels don't suffer the same issues, is because they are wheels mounted on an axle. The axle spins a disk past a sensor, and that is what tells the mouse which way you are scrolling. So, oils from your fingers don't affect the sensors.

But, in Apple's design, you are directly touching the surface of the mechanism that controls the scrolling. So, the oils become an issue.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hate it. I had two of them and they both intermittently detected left clicks as right clicks. There's really no point in spending a huge amount of money on a mouse, what's wrong with your Logitech?

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I second that

12. TenaciousPZ macrumors regular

You people are absolute useless fools. How is that any of you are allowed to give purchasing advice to any living being?

FACTS:

1. The might mouse works perfectly and is a pleasure to use, right click, left click, center click, side click, ALL WORK EXACTLY as you would expect.

2. THEY ARE PRONE TO DEFECTS. If you buy one, install the software, and it does not work properly, give it about 30 minutes of use and get used to it. If it does not work exactly the way you expect it to, return it because it is defective. What Apple does not tell you is that nearly 50% of the wireless might mouse that have shipped are defective with problems associated with right clicking. BUT THEY DO NOT ALL BEHAVE LIKE THIS. Only some.

When you get one that works it will be the best mouse you've ever used. Screw logitec and usb wireless.

13. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Settle down TPZ

There are some good reasons here..

I use a standard usb 2 button mouse that I picked up at bigbox central. It's cheaper, and does the job.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Little does he know, i control him.... ;)

15. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

While I agree with many of your points, (and love my BTMM btw), I think someone needs to visit the manners cupboard and get some manners. Read the quote from yourself above and ask yourself, what qualifies you to be in a superior position to be giving purchasing advise?

16. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I like my Mighty Mouse, although I have had some problems with it.

One of my problems is that during games I can't left and right click at the same time. Not all the big of a deal since I just switch to another mouse for those games.

My other problem is with the scroll ball. Gunk eventually gets caked to it and the little sensors inside the mouse stop resonding. I had to crack my Might Mouse open and clean all the crap out from the inside of it. After that it's been working 100% ever since.

17. dreamfocused macrumors member

dreamfocused

i've never even tried the MM yet... but I already have a mouse, i'll definitely check it out if i'm ever in the market of getting a new mouse though... I just find touch sensitive buttons to be in the way... but i'd definitely give it a shot one day

18. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I've used it at an Apple Store...i would agree that it is an okay mouse.
    If you want it, go the Ebay route.

the main thing that I dislike about the MM is that the scrolling ball or "nub" is too small and people report that it easily fails. sure, it's 360 scrolling but a Revolution VX or MX can do that better. The earlier Mac mice that have the relatively same shape give me hand cramps if I used them for an extended period of time.

me? I use my old trusty Logitech MX500. Its comfortable and has thumb buttons (bound to Expose. you wouldn't believe how easy it is to switch windows). That seals the deal. The MM? it just has buttons.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Um . . . you are the one being foolish. I find the mm quite annoying to use. How is it fact otherwise? It's your opinion, not fact. My wide (read 'fat') fingers constantly pressed the wrong buttons. Button presses were not nearly as responsive as most other mice I've used.

If someone wants purchasing advice, I'm not going to give them your opinion, I'm going to give mine. You can add your opinions yourself, but you cannot try to mask them as facts.

And honestly, your tone was unwarranted and unwanted. It wouldn't bother me one bit if you were to never post here again, and that is a fact. I really suggest you learn to express yourself in a more friendly and professional way if you ever want to fit in around here.

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I think its a terrible mouse, you would be much happier with a MX1000 (GREAT mouse) or one of those new black Logitech mice that cost a small fortune. The ball is just too small, scrolling a webpage takes ages because you have to spin it so many times, plus its hard to spin as it is since your finger makes more contact with the plastic that with the microscopic ball. The side buttons are another annoyance, its very uncomfortable to use them since you have to reposition your hand in order to reach the one on the right.The right click thing is a needless annoyance but its not that big a deal. I dont find anything about the mouse redeeming, Apple chose form over function big time (and even the form isnt THAT good, it just matches the keyboard).

Its better than the old one button mouse, but thats not saying much.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68020

flyinmac

I'd agree with that.

23. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

The Mighty Mouse is an example of what happens when you try to over-design a product for no good reason.

My iMac came with one but after a while I went back to my old Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer.

Why did Apple go to the trouble of creating a mouse that, rather than making mechanical clicks, put in touch sensors and fake audio feedback? Why is the ball wheel so tiny and loose? Why use a shape which many people find uncomfortable? Why use technology which means you cannot use the right sensor if you are touching the left?

Over-design is poor design. Clearly, someone at Apple overdid it with the cocaine one evening and started drawing on napkins at the Olive Garden what he thought would be an AWESOME mouse, at least to look at. "We'll make a mouse WORTHY of the Apple logo, guys! And it should be pill shaped, kinda, like Zoloft or Valium or Propecia or something! YEAH! And it should be all sleek and with no seams on the top! Oh wow...this is awesome...we should totally make it play music or songs or at least clicking noises! And it should have a button on the top that you can press to order hookers and coke! QUICK, CALL PAUL IN ACCOUNTING AND PRICE THIS BABY UP! And pass me that bottle of schnapps!"

I do wonder how many people who actually paid for it are simply rationalising the expense.

Anyway, after three years the scroll wheel on my Intellimouse is going a bit weird. I will probably buy the exact same mouse again.

24. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

MM is great

hmm... interesting replies here; I find the MM to be great: right click has never failed me, the size of the mouse is great for me, i like the squeeze buttons and i love the way the scroll ball works. The only negatives are that the scroll ball can gunk up and stick, but i find it quite easy to clean by pushing down hard, rolling repeatedly around and wiping out the gunk; plus it is rather expensive.

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If your Mac came with a MM, and you didn't want to spend extra on another mouse, the MM would be OK. Leaps and bounds better than the one button mice Apple has always used — especially the original iMac puck mouse! :eek: But for any serious mousers it's no good. The non-physical buttons don't fit my needs and the scroll nipple just plain sucks (I wanted it to work, I like the idea).

If you want to upgrade from a Logitech MX310... get another Logitech. I've not come across any better mice. MX1000 + SteerMouse is the best mousing experience I've ever had.