Mighty Mouse alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spanky Deluxe, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I thought it might be nice to discuss *other* mice. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking the Mighty Mouse and I don't really want to discuss that mouse.

Personally my favourte mice have always been the Microsoft ones (I know its a bit traitoresque). I absolutely love the Intelimice, they've always been the perfect size for me with excellent resolution.

I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse combo from Logitech which is a few years old and I absolutely hate it - its got terrible reception, changing batteries is a chore and the resolution and 'smoothness' of the mouse on the screen is simply horrible.

I recently bought a new IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 because my previous mouse had finally given up the ghost. It was meant to be only for my laptop but now I use it for both my laptop and my desktop, swapping it between the two. Every time I use it I am amazed at how nice it is to use!

Does anyone else have any views on different mice?
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i also like the microsoft intellimouse... but i think i might have a 3.0 version? either way, very nice mouse
  3. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    The Microsoft mice always get good reviews. Personally I've had a couple of Kensington Optical Elites which I find very comfortable to use. It's also ambidextrous for the SO. I also like the Mouseworks software kensington has that allows you to assign the buttons to each individual program. It's really nice and straight forward. They've got some multi-button bluetooths out lately that I might check out if my wired one bites the dust.
  4. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
  5. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    I concur.

I have both the Mighty Mouse and the MX1000. The MX1000 is more accurate and you don't have to worry about right clicks not registering.
  6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Actually, Mighty mouse is the alternative, wether is the best one or not is up to you, yeah i'd like to try a logitech, but it won't match my white set (iBook, iPod, Airport Ext.) :rolleyes: , I think I'll get one if mighty mouse doesn't come wireless in Paris. Steve, did you hear that? Steve? :p
  7. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    I have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer V. 1.0. It's a little larger than the current crop of mice, but I love it. I keep thinking about getting a new wirelesss intellimouse, but I don't find any of them as comfy as my ol' Intellimouse. The curvature of the new ones is a little different, and the side buttons on my old one are larger than the current offerings. I'll probably keep it untill it finally dies!

On my Mac at work I actually use a trackball. I had never been a fan of trackballs before. I had tried to use the Microsoft Optical Trackball, and I hated it. I also don't like the large trackbals on a square base. However, due to space limitations and equipment availability, I ended up with the "Macally Optical Glitter Trackball (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=334407) I have to say, I find it one of the most comfortable products I've ever used for mouse-ing. It even has a scroll wheel, which is appreciated. The Macally software allows you to assign the buttons with ease. I currently have left click, right click, backward (for web browsing) and Expose' programmed for mine. I would not reccomend it for games, but for any other work, it really does a great job.
  8. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK

That's exactly how I felt, I'd used my V1.0 for years until it literally died. Version 4 is just as nice and then even better. I love it! And its really affordable too!
  9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    I hate M$'s mice, they just feel cheap.

Keningston mice are flaky, jerky and suspect. Doesn't work very well with OSX.

Logtiech is the only company I will use with OS X. The mice feel solid and the software/pref pane works as it should with OSX.

I am looking forward to picking up a mighty mouse, or at least seeing it in person. Too bad it's not wireless.
  10. diego2k7 macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    Well, as far as appearances go I like my Sony Seamlesss Mouse SMU-SL1 silver. It is has one button looks with two actual buttons... the whole mighty mouse sensor non-sense is just not for me. My only complaint would be its weight... its a bit too light sometimes.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Currently, I use a MacAlly BT Mini.

I used it with my 12in PB (Sept 04-May 05) and loved it. I am now using it with a 15in PB of the same revision, and am very disappointed. I get significantly poorer tracking and lag. I'm very disappointed (now). However, it is compact (not too small) and looks great. (I'm currently in the market for a new, silver, BT mouse)
  12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i also like the microsoft wireless intellimouse with the tilting scroll wheel.

the only disadvantage is that it's not bluetooth and you need their reciever. that blooks one usb port.

the good thing is that it works without any microsoft software. only when you want to customize all buttons you need the M$ software.

the mouse also wakes the computer from sleep when you mve it. i actually like that.

my 2 cents.
  13. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Some of Microsoft's mice are very nice, especially with the smooth scrolling technology, but I don't think that I could ever give up the precision and comfort of my MX1000...
  14. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Light is good mate! The lighter the better! Last thing you want is to be dragging a lead chunk about.

I'm using an IntelliMouse Optical USB. I've had it for years and reverted back to it after not liking the one buttoned BT Apple mouse. Its featherlight and easy on the wrist.
  15. Cioni2k macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    Not many people know about this one...

DVForge MacMice Bluetooth Mouse

They come in a grey or white to match iBooks/Powerbooks. Bluetooth, great size/style. Two button mouse, scroll button. Mmm

I have one and love it
  16. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    I love the Apple Wireless Bluetooth Mouse. Awesome.
  17. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    If your looking for cheap and high quality, I'd go with Microsoft.

If your looking for expensive, but better looking, and still high quality, I'd go with Logitech.

I'm using a LX700 mouse/keyboard combo right now from Logitech, and I like it a lot. But before this I had been using a Microsoft optical 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel for about 2 years previous to my Logitech that I bought for $15.

MS couldn't make an OS if they wanted to, but they make a damn good mouse, if you ask me.

18. billyergs macrumors member

Feb 16, 2005
    Kinda expensive, but if you're in the market to buy a tablet, the mouse that comes with the Wacom tablet is the nicest mouse I've ever used.
  19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'm quite pleased with the Logitech MX510, if you must have a mouse. It's quite nice, as corded mousies go. I'd still rather use my trackballs in cramped spaces but the MX510 is a superior example of a mouse.
  20. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Funny that you mention that, because I think that is one of my biggest gripes about the newer Microsoft mice. I really like the tactile feedback of the "click-y scrolling," as opposed to the smooth scrolling.
  21. Mr.Hostility macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2005
    I got an MX1000 from Logitech when my MX700 stopped charging. Logitech is a quite awesome company to deal with. I had that mouse for better than 2 years I think, they replaced it almost without question, and with a much better product.

Anyway, I like it a lot, and I use that on my PC. For my Mac I use an Intellimouse Explorer Wireless, version 3 I think. One thing I like the most is the seemless scroll wheel.
  22. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I was worried about that before I got this mouse because I really liked the clickiness of previous wheels. However now I really love the smoothness of it, its surprising how easy you can get used to it.
  23. Aaon macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Hmm... Well, I'll have to give it another try. I am not a heavy gamer or anything, but one of the reasons I like the "click-y" scroll is for game play. In most FPS games, the scroll wheel can change weapons, one weapon per click. I think the clickness wheel will make that a little inexact.
  24. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    i got a mighty mouse and personally i dont like it. I think its a bit too light too. The only thing i really like about it is that you can use the buttons with dashboard and expose. If anyone knows if you can do this with other mice please let me know cos i'll change.

especially that sony mouse. it loooks great.