Mighty mouse has broken!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gangst, Jan 1, 2006.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

God, my Mighty Mouse has broken after having it for about 4 weeks. Just now it just stopped scrolling down and can only scroll up.

Anyone know how to open these things to clean them or how to mend the scroll ball.

Thanks

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

If it were me I would send it back to Apple for a replacement. Much less hassle than taking it apart and trying to mend.

3. CVC macrumors member

Unfortunately, the scroll pea on the Mighty Mouse is very prone to clogging. If it's crumbs (and I do like to eat at my computer), turn the mouse over, press in the pea and roll it. That should dislodge any bits and allow them to drop back out.

The other problem is the oils on your hand will eventually cause the mouse not to scroll. I have had my Mighty Mouse about two months and have already had to clean it twice. Put some alcohol on a soft lint-free cloth (don't use a paper towel) and clean the scroll pea, rolling it around to get the alcohol down inside to dissolve the oils and gunk.

My Mighty Mouse came with my iMac, and I am completely unimpressed with it for a number of reasons. The scroll pea is so sensitive to dirt and the oils on your hand, that I am waiting until it quits permanently. I wonder if Apple is getting a lot of returns on them.

4. croshtique macrumors 6502

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

from that article...

"Although your Mighty Mouse never needs to be fed or watered, you may occasionally find that you need to clean it."

It's probably been noticed before, but I love how Apple slip in the odd joke or two!

6. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

The Mighty Mouse really hasn't been so great, i've heard so many complaints of them breaking and not working in certain spots. But if it stopped scrolling one way are you sure that you didn't get something stuck in it? Try a toothpick I use them to clen stuff that get's stuck in my cell phone.

7. LeviSnuts macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. i don't think anything is stuck in there because not only does it not scroll down anymore but it has stopped making that little click noise when i try to scroll down.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

My Mighty Mouse also stops scrolling once in a while.

The solution for me is to press the ball down really hard, then rotate it both ways, then press it hard down and backwards and rotate, then press hard down and forwards and rotate.

To press it down and backwards at the same time I use just a fingernail at the frontmost edge of the ball. Similar for down and forwards.

The little click noise also stops because it is an electronically created click, not a mechanical click, as far as I know.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Interesting solution, gekko. Have you tried throwing it against the wall? Gouging the scroll ball with an icepick? Or maybe just have Apple replace it? :D ;)

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Not necessary. This procedure is done in a couple of seconds and it has always worked.

11. J.KingOfNothing macrumors newbie

that was easy.. just some drips of water on my sleeve, and then clean it