Mighty Mouse Not So Mighty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jimmieboy, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I was a little interested in buying a wireless mouse for my iMac. The only reason I want it is just so I don't have cables running all over the place. I think that it's a real pity that apple doesn't sell the wireless keyboard and mouse, as a kit with a discounted price.

I've had a look at the reviews on the apple store and there seems to be a lot of unsatisfied customers. There have been complaints of the right mouse button not registering clicks and problems with the scroll wheel.

I was just wondering if it's actually worth me shelling out 109AUD for this baby. Keeping in mind that I only get $9 and hour where I work.

Thanks in advance!

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

logitech v270 only costs $35 i think, @newegg.com
    i tried mighty mouse at apple store. its really hard to use, very strange to use right click, im sure it should be good when u get use to it, but its just feel such a waste of energy/time/money

3. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

We have to keep in mind that I live in Aussie! :)

4. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I just had a look and it's black! I'm trying to get things to match, though my speakers have a control pod that sits under my imac but on the desk, which is black!

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, its really not that big of deal, pick one u like, compare them

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I really enjoy my wired mighty mice (yes more than one) - my early one failed, but Apple replaced it for free, without even checking to see when I bought it. The rest of mine are great.

Right clicking isn't hard it's just different. Mine always registers it's clicks as I've got it down perfect.

I hate all wireless mice, though. Every wireless mouse I use seems to not be very accurate. People keep telling me it's because I keep picking inaccurate mice to test out... but I'll just stick to a wire.

Is the MM worth how much Apple charges for it? No, unless you want all Apple hardware.

7. polevault139 macrumors 6502

IMHO, the Mighty Mouse is awesome! I love the mouse. My only complaint would be that the side squeeze buttons are a little strange to get to.

Other than that everything works great. Even right clicks.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I love my wireless Mighty Mouse. The right click is totally not an issue for me. I agree the side squeeze is a little strange, but I got used to it.

The only real issue I have with both Mighty Mice (wired and wireless) are the scrollballs. Brilliant concept, poor execution. Dirt gets inside, and it often gets caught and wouldn't scroll up or down, which gets aggravating.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Very happy with my wireless MM. Right click is no problem for me. The only issue, and I guess this is true of most wireless mice, is that it needs a reboot (off/on) occasionally.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I tried to like the MM, but I couldn't. Never could get comfortable with the right click, and the scroll thingy stayed knackered up all the time. Finally gave it the heave ho and am currently very happy with my much less expensive M$ mouse.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

So I took a trip to heaven last weekend (Apple store) to play with my future baby (iMac 24'') and it had the wireless MM there to play with. I didn't seem to mind it too much really, not really that much different than other wireless mice. But then again it was only an hour test run (i felt bad afterwards for hogging up the machine for a whole hour...afterwards :) )
    I have a question tho, when you squeeze the sides, the screen goes dim, what did that do?

12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

That is activating Expose, however I assume there were no windows on the screen, so it just went dim. Try hitting F9, it should do the same thing.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

14. seabass069 macrumors regular

Do Not but the mighty mouse. For one thing it is too small for an adult hand. Second the buttons work like crap. I returned mine back to the Apple Store. I ended buying a cheap Microsoft Wireless mouse. 'bout the few things that Microsoft does actually pretty well at.

15. mac17 macrumors regular

i bought the mm, after reading some reviews i was skeptical but i figured id try it after about ten minutes of use i loved it the right click always works the people that gave bad reviews just dont know how to work it, it seems like the right click isnt working to them because its not an actual click button its touch sensative so u have to pick up the left finger slightly when u hit the right click otherwise it wouldnt work. and the two side buttons for expose are amazing i dont think i coul use another mouse again!

16. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

You guys seem to like it mostly. The scroll wheel is dissapointing I hear. Maybe I'll just wait until the next model of the wireless mighty mouse is released? Or maybe I'll wait until it becomes affordable, though apple rarely drops their prices on their products.

17. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I've been using the Logitech mx1000 for years and the thing I missed most about it when trying the MM is the lack of buttons that do other things.

Not having a mouse with back and forward keys is a huge pain when web browsing, not to mention the other buttons that can be programed to do things like hide applications and refresh the screen.

It seems that I'll never get to use another Apple mouse again since they're just so adament about simplicity; somtimes even if it hinders the function. Just look at how long it took them to add a right click for goodness sake!

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, think of all the computer illiterate people Apple is targeting with all their products, the ease of use, etc. Apple's mouse is perfect for them.

Logitech and everyone else is there to pick up for people who really need all those buttons.

19. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I find it disappointing mainly because it does not scroll diagonally and mines stuck perhaps from dirt clogging it. Otherwise it's a fine mouse, but at it's price, I would reconsider if I was actually buying it. (Mine came with my iMac)

20. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I just got the Logitech v270 today and its superior to the BT MM in EVERY way. The tracking on the wireless MM was beyond slow, there was a ton of friction between my desk and the MM, plus the scroll wheel would always get stuck.

Go with the Logitech v270

21. cynerjist macrumors regular

I haven't had any issues with dirt affecting the scrolling. How long did you own it before that started happening? I am 2 months in without issues. It did take me time to strengthen my scrolling and side-squeeze techniques.

My only gripe with MM is that is priced too high. Logitech is a great bang for the buck mouse. Unfortunately, I am one of those people that have to have everything matching everything else, when possible.

22. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

The Logitech MX1000 Laser. The greatest mouse ever made.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

monochrome or symmetric are old fashion design that have been out of date for a long time, :D

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I am most unhappy with my Mighty Mouse (wired). I often right-click with it (or click the center button or squeeze the side triggers) unintentionally, and the scroll ball has a bad habit of refusing to scroll down.

I replaced it with a cheaper third-party mouse, and I've been happy ever since. I wish I knew why my Mighty Mouse misbehaved, though.

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I find it as comfy as any other mouse and it looks good. Just make sure you clean it! Oh, and the cable is too short (its alright for using on a desk though).