Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
My sister in law was using my computer last night, and now my mouse is broken. It can scroll down, but it cannot scroll up! Anyone know what could be wrong?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
sammyman said:
No. It works scrolling down, but not up.

I similar thing happened to me awhile ago. Turned out the scroll button was slightly depressed to one side, a bit of twiddling got it all working again.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Incredible.... I read this thread 30 minutes ago and thought nothing of it. But the same thing has just happened to me! But mine wont scroll down!

edit* working again. I unplugged it and just scrolled phrenetically for a good 5 minutes, pressing the button many times.

mbl42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, my Mighty Mouse also has this problem. I took it into the Apple Store, but of course it worked fine there and they couldn't do anything for me. I've switched back to my Logitech MX1000. :rolleyes:

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
I realize that the high reports of problems with Apple hardware reported on MR is only a small fraction of the Apple market. I'd just like to take a moment to say that my iBook works great, my wireless keyboard works great, my Airport Express usually works great, and that my Mighty Mouse is absolutely wonderful.

It's too bad that some people have problems with their Mighty Mouse, but I would like to tip my Indiana Jones hat to Apple for the wonderful mouse that they made.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Preacher85 said:
I realize that the high reports of problems with Apple hardware reported on MR is only a small fraction of the Apple market. I'd just like to take a moment to say that my iBook works great, my wireless keyboard works great, my Airport Express usually works great, and that my Mighty Mouse is absolutely wonderful.

It's too bad that some people have problems with their Mighty Mouse, but I would like to tip my Indiana Jones hat to Apple for the wonderful mouse that they made.

I mostly agree with you. My two Power Macs, PowerBook, and two iPods have been entirely problem-free. I can't same the same about my Mighty Mouse. I have the same problem with it fairly routinely. I have found that I can fix it by quickly rolling the ball back and forth. Sometimes blowing down into the ball also seems to help. While I have had some problems with my Mighty Mouse, it's still my favorite mouse. If Apple releases a Bluetooth version and fixes some of the reliability problems, I'll buy one.

fyrmedic

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
I love apple but check other forums too. the mighty mouse is a POS!!!. as inovative as apple is they come out with a mouse that has lots of problems and is not wireless??? mac addict and mac world panned it. and there are lists and lists of people with the same problems. had this been an automobile there would have been a recall.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Project said:
Incredible.... I read this thread 30 minutes ago and thought nothing of it. But the same thing has just happened to me! But mine wont scroll down!

edit* working again. I unplugged it and just scrolled phrenetically for a good 5 minutes, pressing the button many times.

That's the way to fix it - has happened to me a few times and a good bit of rapid scrolling whilst its unplugged sorts it out.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I had the exact same problem with mine - would scroll every which way but up and was starting to feel like as soon as I touched it the button would depress. I took it down to the Apple Centre today, the girl plugged it in, went "Hmm? That's not right." She went out the back for a few minutes and came back with a form and as I filled in the form she opened a new box and gave me a brand new replacement.

I'd forgotten how good the ball felt when it was new. I'm never letting my mates use it again, they can use the MS mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.