Mighty Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shrimpdesign, Jan 29, 2006.

1. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I'm having a problem with Mighty Mouse ... it doesn't always register right-clicks as right-clicks, most of the time it thinks they are left-clicks. Is there a fix for this, Halo is hard to play without a right-click.

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Could this be due to the way that you are using the mouse - the Mighty Mouse is actually only a one button mouse, with sensors to indicate where your fingers are when the button is clicked. If your left finger clicking button is still touching the mouse when you right click, it will register as a left click. You actually have to physically lift the left click finger from the mouse to ensure a right click. This could be difficult to ensure, particularly in the heat of a moment in the middle of a Halo game.

Some people, like me, find they do this automatically when they right click, and as a result, I really like the Mighty Mouse. Others don't. The general consensus is that whether you like the design of the mouse or not, it is not the best for gaming, for the reasons described, but also because it can't recognise a simultaneous right and left click.

3. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Funny thing, I actually thought about that before. I tried lifting my left finger off the mouse (I usually don't) but that doesn't change much. Most of the time it doesn't matter what fingers I have up or not, it just thinks I'm pressing the left button. The middle button works fine, though. It's weird.

Oh, well, I think I'm going to get a different mouse anyways. I have an Logitech RF mouse that I can use for now .. I won't miss the Mighty Mouse ... the extra features are akward, i never got used to squeezing it, or horizontal scrolling. Someday I'll get a nice bluetooth mouse.

4. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

... did you specify the right button action in the system preferences?

5. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Yeah I did. But nevermind, I gave it away. I'm going to go for a wireless mouse.

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

I gave up with mine. I have gone with a cheap Logitec mouse that cost £10, far better. Far lighter (the Mighty Mouse weighs a lot), more responsive, more comfy, it has buttons that work, the resolution is far greater.

Mighty Mouse now lives in my iMac box.

7. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Funny, I got a cheap logitech mouse too, for about $20. It's RF and eats AAs for breakfast. I hope a bluetooth mouse with a charger will work better... someday, someday.

8. howesey macrumors 6502a

Why I go for wired.

9. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

I had a slight problem with my Mighty Mouse - it would randomly register a left-click as a right-click. Weird.

It turns out that I had my legs up on my chair and my knee was resting on the Control key. Whoops...

Other than that (and it does get dirty quickly) I'm quite happy with it.

10. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I have a wireless Logitech Mouse and I put batteries in it like every semester...

11. shrimpdesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

I have rechargeable batteries now, so it's not so bad. I got a really cheap one, it wasn't supposed to be sold without the computer it came with (a PC). So I didn't expect much.