Mighty mouse right click problems!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drewwerd, Nov 21, 2006.

1. drewwerd macrumors newbie

I just got a 17"mbp yesterday and picked up a cordless mighty mouse to go with it. problem is it is about 50/50 on working as a right click or normal click when i right click, yes it has full batt., yes i have the secondary click enabled through the pref pane. i have tried clicking in various spots on the right side but no consistant luck. also i fint the side button kind of hard to click. please help!!!!

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

to right-click, you need to lift your finger COMPLETELY OFF of the left-side. otherwise, it registers the default left click.

It's the MM's worst feature, in my opinion.

Oh, and the "squeeze" is a little tougher to do on the wireless. you'll get used to it, it's pretty nice.

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

ero87 is exactly right (on his opinion too! hehe). I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my right-click wasn't working on my (then) new Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Fortunately Google set me straight.

It is rather annoying.

4. jpcos macrumors newbie

I've had my Mighty Mouse wireless for about two weeks now (with my 24" iMac that has been great) and I have had all kinds of problems with the right click.

Basically, about once a day, right clicking stops working pretty much at all. If I turn the mouse off and back on, it works fine for a time. Is this behavior others have seen, or is my mouse defective? I have XP installed with Boot Camp, and it happened there yesterday for the first time. Once again, off and then back on made it function perfectly. Any thoughts?

5. reflex macrumors 6502a

I guess that explains it then. Just today I decided to try the mighty mouse that came with my iMac again, but it also only registered right-clicks about once every two times.

Since that's not how I use a mouse, I guess I have no reason to try again.

6. drewwerd thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple's suggestions

I called Apple today while i was out for lunch. They said to try two things, 1) dissasociate the mouse and have blue tooth make a new profile for it, and 2) try creating a new user account. I did step 1 and i think it helped a bit, also the lifting of the index finger off of the surface, but it still does it once in a while. not as bad though. i will keep trying with it untill maybe monday then drag my mbp and this thing down to the apple store.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I've found that even if your left finger is CLOSE to the left side, it will register a left-click. Pretty cool/awful.

So make sure your left finger is nowhere near the mouse!

8. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I'm sure in a few years time we'll be referring to mighty mouse as the legendary mighty mouse... Now seriously, isn't this a love/hate relationship?

9. jpcos macrumors newbie

I've tried that. When mine gets inconsistent in its right clicking, it's difficult to get it to do it at all, even with only one finger touching the right side. Once I restart the mouse, it right clicks perfectly, so there is definitely an issue.

I deleted and reinstalled the mouse in Bluetooth preferences. Maybe that will work.

10. drewwerd thread starter macrumors newbie

still up a creek

I am at my whits end, i have reinstalled the os, and the mouse software, removed and added it to bluetooth countless times. i went to the apple store today on my way to work but of course being black friday they were booked up untill 230 pm :mad: i guess i will have to wait untill monday to go again.

11. e.m. macrumors 6502

I have this problem too. After a while, right click doesn't work, and turning it off and back on fixes it temporarily.

This seems to be somewhat of a widespread problem, and there's a discussion on it at the Apple forums too. The debate is if it's a harware or software problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3649089#3649089

There are articles on MacFixIt on this topic, but I can't read the articles since I don't subscribe to that site anymore.

12. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Like they said...take your index finger off the left side. I read about this a lot, but when I use a MM I never seem to have this problem. I guess everyone places their hands on mice differently.

13. e.m. macrumors 6502

I've definitely tried this out, and it didn't remedy the problem. I know it's working for some, but for me (and seems like others on the Apple forum) it doesn't fix it. I wonder if USB overdrive or SteerMouse will fix it, indicating a software issue?

14. jpcos macrumors newbie

We've heard that message many times. It's not the answer to this problem.

I've unpaired the mouse and then reconnected in Bluetooth preferences. This has pretty much worked for a week or so now. It's worth a try.

15. psychoitc macrumors newbie

1st step to fixing the problem~!!!!!!!!

ok, so i've had my imac 24" for almost two weeks now, and the first day it was fine. since i live in colorado the climate changes all the time. suddenly when the coldfront came in, my mightymouse stopped responding to "right clicks" and my "side clicks" are so sensitive that it will click about 50 times when your hand is just near it. its taken me about two weeks to have figured this out.
    i've swapped my mouse out 3 times already and it always seemed to work fine at the apple store. but they were nice enough to swap out my mouse 3 times.

anyways, if you have an iMac like i do, try taking one hand and touching the metal base of the mac and right click away (make sure you've got it set to secondary button) and if you're having problems with the side-buttons, you'll notice that they've fixed them self.

now why the hell would touching the base of the imac magically fix your problem? because it's not a hardware issue; its an electrical issue. something is faulty with the groundwiring with the cord or outlet that you have the imac plugged into. try taking the mouse to someone's house who doesnt have that problem and you'll find that the MM (mighty mouse) works fine.

still think that its your mac? take your mac to a different location (somewhere other than your house ie: neighbor or friend) and see if your oversensitivity of the side-buttons is still going or if your ryte click now works.

touching the base of my mac is all well and good, but i need my left hand on the keyboard, now how the heck do i fix the ground issue?

if this has fixed your problem please let me know if anyone has figured out the electrical ground issue. PLEASE!

16. drewwerd thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

So after like 2 weeks i finally drag my lazy butt into the apple store and talk to them about this issue, and some other that have been happening with my new mbp 17". long story short, i was calm, and they were nice, new mouse works perfectly, and a new computer :D so if anyone else has this problem you should just have apple replace the thing, after all they are pretty expensive.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah mine did the same too (though it was a bit worse than yours) and I got a free replacement, the new one works perfectly.

18. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Sounds like there are some real mouse issues in addition to the "learn how it works with mighty mouse" issue. With my MM, once I learned how the quirky right click needed to be done, I haven't had a problem.

Okay, I haven't had THAT problem. :D Every few days I find myself having to turn the mouse upside down and scroll the ball a little while until it starts scrolling in both directions again.

How can I love a product that is also this annoying? :confused: But I really do love this mouse!

19. e.m. macrumors 6502

The developer of SteerMouse told me that it's a hardware issue as far as he knows.

After I returned my non-clicking MightyMouse, I got the Logitech MX Revolution. I'm using SteerMouse with it, and it is truly beautiful.

20. MleB macrumors newbie

Gave up on the BT Mighty Mouse and its patchy right-click (and yes, I tried many of the workarounds and tricks meant to 'solve' the problem) and sometimes tracking - took it back to the Apple Store and, after being more than a little insistent - got a refund.

Days later, I came upon the Macally BTMouseJr at a local Apple reseller. Took it home, slipped in the batteries and let it be 'discovered'. No additional drivers to load. Works fine and as expected.

Bit of a lull if you come back to it from going to sleep or not using it for a time, but I gather that's a battery-saver issue - and its active quite quickly.

Pity Apple continues to have hardware issues - regardless of product.

21. jlin615 macrumors regular

I recently got the corded version, had a lot of trouble with the right click too. In the beginning, especially I was so used to standard PC mouse with separated left/right buttons, I just had to get use to lifting left finger completely. I was under the impression that the wireless version has some sort of touch sensor for the buttons, where as you dont need to actually click but tap.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I'm in the same boat-- I really do like it but the right-click is a pain... In truth, I really only wanted it for the scroll wheel. I like the one button mouse otherwise.

Thinking about it, it makes some sense-- they're using a capacitive sensor to detect which finger is doing the pressing, but without the USB cable, there's really no ground to drain any charge that builds up. The mouse is electrically "floating". There needs to be a charge difference between you and the mouse for this to all work and the floating ground makes that tough. Left click, I assume, is the default so if it senses a click with no charge difference, it assumes it's on the left.

This also explains the "touch the stand" solution-- touching the stand discharges any static you've built up.

I could be wrong on this, but it fits the evidence...

23. chewbunny macrumors newbie

Right click not enabled

Thought I'd post the obvious but as it foxed me for a while... it may help others. Stating the obvious warning... what follows is pretty obvious, but being obvious it kept me guessing for a while.

I had my mighty mouse working, then it stopped, and I wanted to upgrade to OSX10.5, so I wiped the drive, did a complete reinstall and set everything back up - but the right click just would not work!

What I'd omitted to do was go to the mouse preferences and set the right click from Primary Button to Secondary button - so no issue with the mouse, just an inherent user issue!! :eek:

Hopefully your issue is as easy .....