Mighty Mouse scroll problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amacgenius, Dec 18, 2005.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Recently my Mighty Mouse has had a tendency to only scroll up, the ball will move down but the page or website, etc I'm in won't scroll down, I've tried restarting, unplugging and plugging in, nothing. Anybody have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Probably dust. Thrash the ball around a bit and see what happens.

3. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Well it now scrolls down again, thanks!

[​IMG]

4. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Mine did the same, I gave it a good clean but to no avail. I had to get it swapped out. It did it again, and a clean did sort it out - so to anyone else suffering a similar problem, try taking a damp cloth and running it over your rollerball a few times!

5. SolidSnake macrumors regular

i have one and i hope this doesn't happen to me because i have no idea how to take that thing out.

6. shdwsclan macrumors member

shdwsclan

Easy solution -> Get an MS Intellimouse Explorer

7. Megatron macrumors regular

I second this idea. My MS optical mouse works flawlessly.

8. keyshawn macrumors member

bah,

I have this same problem right now, I'll let you know how this goes, trying to fix it.

regards,
    will.

9. DinoAdventure macrumors member

DinoAdventure

I have had the same problem on and off for a few weeks. I couldn't get it to scroll down for about a week, and then one day it just decided to start working again. But yesterday it decided to stop. It kinda feels like it has some gunk in there, but i cant seem to get any of it out.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

For those with scroll-down problems, make sure that your mouse cursor doesn't happen to be sitting on top of a bit of Flash (an ad or whatever). Especially in Safari, scroll wheels under OS X tend to get stuck on those (you can go up but not down unless you move the cursor away from the ad). It's not specific to the Mighty Mouse.

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I just starting having this problem a couple days ago. It's annoying. I wish you could take the ball out and clean it. :mad:

12. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Same happened to me. A soft cloth with a bit of moisture solved the problem. Just clean the ball a few times and it should work. No need to open the mouse like some sites suggest.

13. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Tried cleaning. Still doesnt scroll down. Only side to side and sometimes up. :(

14. CalGrunt macrumors regular

What has worked for me every time this has happened is just to jiggle the USB connector that the mouse is connected to.........For me, the problem is just intermittent contact with the connector....Jiggle it around a bit and all is good.....

15. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

anyone know how i can exchange my mighty mouse for a new one since this one won't scroll anymore? i tried contacting apple via the support website but nothing got back to me...

16. snack macrumors newbie

Cleaning method that worked for me:

Turn the mouse upside down and roll the ball around on a bit of white paper.

You'll see the crap rub off and it will scroll again.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

how long did u have the mouse, it depends on how long you had the mouse. take it to the mac genius bar.

Bless

18. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

tried the cleaning methods here on macrumors.com and the ones on the apple website....and i've had the mouse for about 6 months. I'll just go to the genius bar...thanks guys.

19. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I held mine upside down and rolled it vigerously for a few minutes........perhaps I should try that with my mouse too :)

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Mighty mouse comes with a 1 year warranty from Apple, they will probably just replace it for you if it has been under a year :)

Ed

21. darkwing macrumors 65816

I had this same problem with my slighty louse only yesterday. Pick the mouse up, and push the little wheel button in. Then, blow like crazy into it in the direction that scrolling doesn't work. Then, it should work again when you put the louse back down. The wheel is optical and dust got in the space where the light is supposed to shine through.

This worked for me.

22. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Mighty mouse problems

I don't know if this has come up so far... I' m having some problems with my mighty mouse's scroll ball. Suddenly this afternoon I could scroll up (and hear the clicking sound) but I couldn;t scroll down (no clicking sound). I pressed and turned the ball, and it started working again, but the scroll was slower. Then I played with the position of my finger on the ball, which worked. Right now it's working normally.

Anybody had this problem?

This is annoying as I bought it in September. Ok I use the scroll ball quite a lot but it's supposed to be designed for heavy use isn't it?

The funny thing is, I quite like the feeling of the MM, so I wouldn;t like to go back to the standard white microsoft mouse (I used to have one)

23. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

thats interesting, mines fine I hope its ok, will apple replace it if its messed up?

24. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

yeah, they send you a new one if you ask for a replacement rather than a repair

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just started having a scrolling problem with my Might Mouse. It will always scroll down, left, or right, but will sometimes refuse to scroll up.

I will try blowing air in from below, blowing next to the mouseball, shaking it, and turning it up-side down. Thank you to those who posted these suggestions.