Mighty mouse scroll problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NYmacAttack, Dec 10, 2006.

1. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I remember reading that there was a way to fix this. My mouse has totally stopped scrolling. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

This is why I hate the Mighty Mouse. It happens to me every other day (well, it did until it decided nothing would help). You might try a blast of compressed air, turning it over and pressing the ball really hard to try and dislodge anything that might be in there, and I've taken a wet cloth and rolled the ball under it, sometimes I get a good 15 minutes of scroll from this. Now though, nothing works and I'm stuck. I hope someone else has a longer term fix!

3. NYmacAttack thread starter macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Yea this is the first time I have had the scroll problem. This MM has already been replaced once for the crazy side buttons.

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

My ball was giving me problems a while ago too. I got it second hand from a fellow on these forums (traded a wireless one-button Apple mouse for it), and it was fine for the first couple months.

It got really bad about a month ago, so I got pissed off and gave it a good cleaning. Hasn't acted up since, so I hope it's fixed. If it ever gets bad enough to stop working completely (and regular cleaning doesn't help), I'm gonna rip the sucker apart and do some invasive cleaning ;)

5. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

The way I do it, which I *think* I got form the Apple site is to turn it upside down and push in the scroll ball while rubbing it forward and backwards very firmly and quickly. usually clears it right up.

6. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Thanks, worked for me. My mouse quit scrolling, but only in the down direction, I could still scroll up. Working fine now.

7. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

thats exactly what happened to mine, ive tried everything as far as cleaning it goes. next step is to bring this one back and see if they will replace it. this is the 2nd one ive gotten, they replaced my original one with this pos.

8. paleo2002 macrumors newbie

paleo2002

I got a lightly-used Mighty Mouse off eBay. It worked fine for a few days, then the vertical axis stopped working on the scroll wheel. I poked around for help and found a rather strange solution.

Try blowing your mouse. Unplug the mouse, put your mouth over the scroll ball, and blow. You're essenitally forcing air through the gap around the scroll ball/bead. It must dislodge dust or something because I've had no problems whatsoever since.

9. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Quote of the day ;)

10. Scottfire macrumors newbie

Ok........I have nothing to add to this thread except that I'm rolling on the freakin floor laughing my arse off at where this thread will be heading next and hell I might as well be the first to side track this...........
    Apple Tech sheet 101: Blow your mouse chuckle chuckle, yes I'm mature, I think.
    SV

11. paleo2002 macrumors newbie

paleo2002

I guess some of us are just a little more devoted to our Macs than others.

12. jcwords macrumors newbie

Alcohol

Cleaning it seems to be a good idea- thanks.

I used a cotton ball dampened with Isopropyl Alcohol, and wiped it down thoroughly. It's working perfectly again, and as a bonus, looks new. Maybe I should clean the keyboard too...