Mighty Mouse ScrollBall Problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishvic, Jan 23, 2006.

1. irishvic macrumors member

The scroll ball on my mighty mouse scrolls forward sideways but not back anymore, just happened right now too. Has this happened to anyone before and how do I fix this

2. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Yup, I had the same thing. Pissed me off so much that I decided to take it apart and see what the hell was going on. Never fixed the problem so I just pitched the damn thing. Back to my trusty MS Intellimouse. :rolleyes:

3. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

i need this fixed im a poor college man with little funds

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Try holding it upside down and blowing into the ball....give it a nice shake and see what happens.

Bless

5. irishvic thread starter macrumors member

6. mpq macrumors newbie

The Mighty Mouse sucks. I'm on my second and the scroll has already failed.:mad:

7. LastLine macrumors 65816

i'm on my second too.

Mind both still work great :D

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

When did you purchase it? You may be able to get a replacement from Apple.

9. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

This has happened to me a couple of times - I think it is just due to gunk building up on the ball when you scroll.

I have always managed to fix it by either doing what 2nyRiggz says above, giving the ball a thorough clean with a slightly damp cloth, or turning the mouse upside down & pressing & scrolling the ball really hard.

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    there's still hope

My mighty mouse stopped scrolling up for months, I ranted and swore at it...then it started working again...then it stopped scrolling down....uggh

then it started working fine again and that's where I'm at right now...

Basically its a piece of crap, but when it works it's good...so maybe it will work again some day like mine...

11. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I've found that it stops scrolling when the ball gets dirty - an issue for those who grab lunch at their desk from time-to-time. You could try to clean it - a little glass plus on a rag - obviously not very easy to clean.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

One more reason for me to sell the new mighty mouse from my new imac. Can you remove the ball? Probably not, but take it apart and clean the ball and sensors well.

OR unplug her, and take a drop of rubbing alcohol and drop it on the ball and swish it in several directions, let her dry for a while and then plug her back in and see how she works. Its dry when you can't smell the alcohol. ;)

13. JoMilla macrumors newbie

Solution: Hold the mouse Upside down and thrash the ball around vigorously. Apply a small pressure so that the ball will allow dust/whatever to work its way out. If that doesnt work you can try running a damp clothe over it. Hope this helps.

14. kainen28 macrumors newbie

Apple Mighty Mouse

Apple Mighty Mouse has attractive design, scroll ball is really comfortable and easy to use. Its Works with Windows and Mac systems as well,integration with Tiger is flawless. Still I using this but I don't having problem with that.

15. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Mine had problems after a year. I tried a Magic mouse but after 30 minutes (thats what I love about Apple Stores) of using it, my wrist was pretty sore.

The Magic Trackpad on the other hand (figuratively, not literally), is a pleasure to use.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Quite a thread-bump there! :)

I'd just like to add - be wary of cleaning your Mighty Mouse too hard, as some suggested above. After vigorously cleaning mine a while back, the ball finally started to move freely. But when I tried to use it, nothing. I must have broken a roller inside the mouse when cleaning it.

If you still have a Mighty Mouse, I'd recommend cleaning it regularly, before it gets stuck, rather than only when a problem happens.

17. LPZ macrumors 65816

18. CravenA macrumors newbie

CravenA

I have cleaned my mouse the way many suggest (damp but not wet cloth & vigorous rolling of the ball) and up to now this always eventually works.
    But now to the odd thing and reason for this post. On more than one occasion I've given up cleaning 'cos I can't get the mouse scrolling properly and rather than get irritated have put the machine to sleep and gone off to something else.
    Next time I use it the mouse is perfect. So, what's happened while I've been away?

19. ericbidwell macrumors newbie

scrolling problem

Same problem, wouldn't scroll up. Fixed it by wiping the ball with spec lense cleaner(Gave it a good wipe) rolling the ball for about 10 seconds to give the lense cleaner a good coverage. Worked fine.