Mighty mouse. What thinks?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacTruck, Aug 28, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    Tried the mighty mouse out at compusa tonight. Still trying to decide if I like that tiny scroll wheel. Anyone else tried it yet?
  2. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The scroll wheel I like, the number of times I seem to get a right-click when I wanted a standard click i don't like. Still getting used to it but overall I like. Just wish there was a BT version.
  3. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    I love my Mighty Mouse. It's definitely the coolest, best feeling mouse I've ever used.
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    No, I have not tried out Apple's Mighty Mouse yet. I am still happily clicking away with Apple's one-button optical mouse. :)

Who knows, I will probably crack and buy one. ;)
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I process about 1,200 images a day -it has totally enhanced my workflow.

I love it. :D
  6. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    I'm about to buy either the MM or the MX1000.. have to say I'm leaning towards the MX1000 just because it is wireless..
  7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I like the scroll ball personally, but i don't use it on either of my powerbooks, just on the powermac.

Personally i don't find it usefull for the laptops because it is wired and the newer laptops have the scrolling on the trackpad
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Although I never used the Logitech MX1000, I used to use a Logitech MX500 on my former PeeCee and it was awesome! Having owned several mice/keyboards from Logitech I can only deduce that the MX1000 will be an awesome mouse.
  9. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Aug 18, 2005
    Has anyone experienced a particular bug with the mighty mouse?

When I click and drag something, and then squeeze to use expose (all windows - when clicking and dragging, you have to squeeze harder) to drop it into anthoer window, afterwards, the clicking is completely non-functional. Pointer on everything works fine, but clicking is completely disabled. Well, not completely - it seems it can tell that I push it because all the windows dim when I click, but nothing is ever selected.

I'm using it with a 12" PB, and the click on the trackpad is also disabled. My only response is to reboot via command-option-reset. Or however....is there a better way to access the apple menu via keyboard?
  10. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i think it sucks, which is hard to say when you have to sell them.

they sacrificed everything for form. the tactile response is absolutely horrendous.

a complete disaster in my opinion considering how revolutionary of an idea it was...15 years ago.
  11. mox358 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2002
    Love MM

I have used my Mighty Mouse for about a week and a half now and I have to admit that it's (so far) my favorite mouse of all time. Maybe I'm still stuck in the RDF, but I've found myself using dashboard and expose´ more since I got MM.

I also work on alot of Photoshop files, so the scroll bar is definitely my favorite part.

I also admit to using the right click after training myself for years that one button was enough. :D
  12. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I had that exact same thing happen on my powermac no matter what mouse i tried after that i had to hard reset my powermac, it upset me much so.
  13. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    LOVE IT, can not go back to work with the mouse formly know as "pro mouse" Bu ti not for all people!
  14. ashon3611 macrumors member

Aug 8, 2004
    i've played with the mighty mouse, while the wheel is somewhat impressive and besides fitting the apple motif honestly its really not all that great...

...With a MX500 ive programmed forward and back for browsing (which also scrolls the tabs in adium), one button to switch applications, one for dashboard, another to clear to the desktop, the scroll button opens new tabs, and the scroll wheel.. just scrolls.

Perhaps some would want to pay 15 bucks more for a mouse that is less functional but i don't see the logic in that.
  15. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    You mean you don't see the logitech in that!
  16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I tried a mighty mouse for the first time today... have to say, I was very disappointed. I found the scroll ball too small for comfort, the side buttons hard to push, and that the right click didn't work unless your finger was actually lifted off the left side of the mouse. :(
  17. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Aug 18, 2005
    You know what's absolutely peculiar? I have problem of always right-clicking by accident. It's strange, because it has been designed specifically to prevent that. The problem is I kind of hold the mouse at the back, with my middle finger resting on the right side. When I go to click with my index finger, I sort of press the mouse halfway up the body, which isn't far enough to get sensed by the left side, hence right click.

I must be the only person in the world with this problem.
  18. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    the mx1000 is definetly an amazing mouse and for 50 bones from amazon, you cant beat it
  19. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
  20. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I hate the Mighty Mouse.

1. You can't rest your finger on the left click or right click will not work. That's ridiculous.
    2. No tactical feedback.
    3. Dragging can be a challenge.
    4. Quirky scrolling. The tiny "ball" requires a lot more finger work than a normal scroll wheel.
    5. "Squeeze" buttons are awkward and difficult to use.
  21. xyian macrumors 6502

May 24, 2004
    They're usually ahead of their time.....

I don't understand. Apple is usually ahead of their time and this time I think they balked. They should have released a BT version of the mouse along with the cabled version of the mouse. I don't have a need for the cable version. Isn't wireless easier? I sure enjoy my MS BT mouse. I'd rather get the Apple version though.
  22. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Jan 18, 2004
    I love my Mighty Mouse. However, for things like games...I have a bit of trouble with it. Today while playing Halo, I tried to click the middle button (scroll ball) to use my scope, and Dashboard activated. I then went into System Preferences and played around with all the settings for the middle button--nothing seemed to work! So, in the end I gave up and just pressed "Z" to use the scope. Still kind of a pain in the rear end, though...

Anyways, for everything else this new mouse is perfect and works flawlessly.
  23. londy macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    louisville, ky
    well i like mine. i've only been using it for the last couple days (since my ibook arrived) so i'm still getting used to it. but i right click with no problems and find myself using the scroll ball more than i normally would on a mouse--i hate scroll wheels. at this point i don't need the squeeze buttons. when i click the mouse moves--the front goes down just as if i was pushing a button or like i was using the now-former-pro mouse.

i like the mighty mouse just fine.
  24. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    It gets a thumbs up from me, but I needed a couple of days to get used to it.
  25. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Pros and Cons.

Pros: Scroll ball is much better than scroll wheel or scroll 'touch pad' on my Kensington Studio Mouse. The optical sensor is much better than any other optical mouse I have (it works on a black surface, most other optical mice don't.) Clicking is very seamless and effortless. The right/center clicking is like magic.

Cons: Can't click more than one button at a time (for example, in games, you can't right and left click at the same time.) 'Squeeze' clicking a little too sensitive. (I end up Exposé-ing way more often than I want; but I do like the ability to Exposé that way, so I haven't disabled it.)

One MAJOR con: If you are dragging something and squeeze click, it forgets how to click until you log out/log in or restart! (For example, I could be dragging an icon across the desktop, and accidentally squeeze and activate Exposé, then I am no longer able to click any click until I log out and log back in.)