Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joseph2166, Mar 4, 2006.

1. joseph2166 macrumors 6502

My dad's Mighty Mouse's scroll wheel has broken - it can't scroll down, nor can the clicking sound be heard. I was woundering (as he bought it less than a year ago with his Mac Mini) if he'd be able to get it replaced/repaired if I took it to the apple store? Anybody any clue?

2. VeganBryan macrumors member

yeah, mine acts up like that a lot too. what i usually do is press down on it and keep scrolling until it starts working again. it's a pain though.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

That should do the trick, as does blowing compressed air through it and cleaning it with a slightly damp cloth.

There have been loads of threads about this problem - have a search of the forums and you should find all you need. :)

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

If you have the receipt of the purchase, you should be able to have it replaced at the Apple Store. That is, of course, assuming it is actually broken (that's what it sounds like). Apple offers a 1-year warranty against defects on (all of?) its products.

5. joseph2166 thread starter macrumors 6502

neither of those things worked - its wierd its only downwards that its not working. I'll take it to the store and see, as I'm going anyway...

I spent so long pursuading dad to use it and now its not working!

6. BlueT macrumors member

Use a Q-Tip and isopropyl alcohol. Dip the Q-Tip, drain the excess, and scrub the crap out of the ball in all 360 degrees for a couple of minutes. It'll work like new again.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This happens to me on average once every 2 weeks. I've just gotten used to it. I've found that the best way to deal with it, as per Apple's support document, is to turn the mouse upside down and roll the scroll ball around very quickly on my pant leg. That seems to do a good job of dislodging the gunk that makes it stop scrolling.

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

This happens to me from time to time as well, suddenly can't scroll downwards. As per Apple, turn the mouse upside down and use a moist cloth and scroll "vigorously" in all directions until the dirt is dislodged. Make sure and give this a go before you try to get it replaced.

9. 420greg macrumors newbie

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

What he said is correct.

Clean it.

That's all

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The Mighty Mouse is a joke. Get a MS mouse, they actually work without the need of cleaning it every 2 weeks.

12. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

LOL! Did the support doc actually say "roll on pant leg"? :-D

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I've had a Mighty Mouse for 3+ months with not one problem.