Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Andreyevich, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Andreyevich macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2006
    Does anyone know whether the Mighty Mouse is worth getting? I'm a traditional Mac user, and like the slick design of the regular mouse - this one just seems a little too boring for me. I think they are quite expensive, and wanted to check with the experts (i.e. you :p) whether it is worth getting.

Can anyone tell me whether this mouse is worth getting? Should I just stick to the traditional Mac mouse?
  2. eji macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2004
    Inland Empire
  3. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    I bought a Mighty Mouse and I hated it. I got terrible cramp and aches in my hand/wrist through using it. It required too much effort to click the buttons and the side buttons were a complete joke.

I bought a Microsoft mouse instead. If there's one thing that Microsoft get right, it's mice. Excellent beast, it is.
  4. Judge Fudge macrumors newbie

Judge Fudge

Jun 14, 2006
    I never used one until I just got my 20" iMac. I don't plan on using it on a regular basis, but I do find the scroll ball to be really awesome on it. My mouse I am switching to is my PC mouse, MX1000.

I heard all the bad reviews on the mighty mouse, and my opinion is that it's not that bad, if it's your thing. I think I will hook it up to my Mac mini instead. I really need a larger mouse, with 2 seperated buttons.

(Play games like Call of Duty 2 with it that require a right click is somewhat fustrating...lol):)
  5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    I'd love a Microsoft mouse with the Apple scroll ball. That would be awesome. Something just feels off about the Mighty Mouse in daily use to me. It doesn't detect left clicks properly if you have your hand positioned a certain way, movement is slow, etc. I like the way it tooks and my head likes the way it works. My hand however doesn't like it very much.
  6. TheSailerMan macrumors member

Apr 22, 2006
    New York, New York
    I personally love the Mighty Mouse, especially the control it gives me over Expose.
    I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on playing lots of games though, as right-clicking just isn't as easy to do as with regular 2-button mice.
  7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Apple always tries to balance design and functionality. The Mighty Mouse is a case of design over functionality.
  8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    NO, it's horrible. The scroller is always getting clogged up with crap and never works. As someone said before, the shape isn't great for your hand.
  9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    My uncle has one for his iMac and I have used it quite a bit, but I don't think I would buy one. For the price you can get a far superior mouse (Logitech is still my fav) with more buttons but probably not as pleasing to the eye.
  10. uberpenguin macrumors newbie

Depends on what you need...

I love the Mighty Mouse as a mouse for my laptop station on my desk. But if I'm working on a desktop Logitech Laser mouse all the way... So it would help if I knew more of what you're looking for...
    1) Price limit
    2) Do you need scrolling capabilities built-in (I assume yes...)
    3) Multiple buttons
    4) Portability?
    5) Would you prefer wireless, and if so, bluetooth or other connection method

Let me know and I'd be glad to point out some cheaper or similarly priced alternatives to the MM

11. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    It comes down to each ones personal preference. I have my mighty mouse for more than 6 months now and like it very much. Never had any problems with it and it feels comfortable for me even after 8 hours of graphic design work and 4 hours of World of Warcraft afterwards.
  12. Andreyevich thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2006
    Wow, everyone has such different opinions on the mouse! What I would like in a mouse is:

Scroll wheel
    Optical (no mouse-ball)

I will probably be using the mouse for gaming (in addition to general tasks), so comfort is very important. I guess that I will just have to try one out in a shop - I don't really know anyone that uses one, and everyone's views on it seem radically different! Thank you for your opinions and help!
  13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    The scroll wheen doesn't work half the time... and it's only one direction (for me its always down) that stops working. You have to turn it upside down and roll it around on the wheel to get it unstuck.
  14. NightLord macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2005
    I personally really like the mighty mouse, and I do find it comfortable, to be honest. I just place my thumb and ring finger on the side buttons, and never remove them, which gives good access to the ball and buttons.

However the ball does get clogged easily, which is a bit of a pain, but usually giving it a good rub will help.
  15. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Your best bet is to go to an Apple store (or another computer store that sells macs) and test it out for yourself. I'm glad I had the chance to do that because I really like the design of it, it matches the current lineup very well. But the useability was crap from my perspective. The little scroll ball was very sensetive to pressure, a slight bit more than what you're used to with a scroll wheel and it would click, more often than not when you really didn't want it to. The squeezing feature required your hand to be in an exact position otherwise it made it difficult to work. The right click feature wasn't what most people are used to either, being in more of a specific location than an actual button.

Overall I think they missed the boat on this one, its got some interesting ideas but from what I found out by actually using them, it didn't play well with reality. Stick with a more conventional mouse if you're fond of right/middle clicking and scrolling. The MM looks like a one button mouse with a small ball in the middle and functions best like it.
  16. FirePak macrumors regular

May 5, 2006
    Mesa Arizona
    I bought one and then returned it. I guess im just spoiled with my Mx1000 as i couldnt get used to it. I wish logitech would release the bluetooth version sometime soon. A friend of mine has the mighty mouse and he loves it, He actually always has an extra handy in case his stops working.
  17. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    FWIW, I've used the Mighty Mouse at the Apple store several time during long waits for the Genius Bar. It just felt unnatural to me and I really couldn't get the hang of it very quickly at all.
  18. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I like the mighty mouse but it does have issues. It came with my iMac. I probably wouldn't have purchased it. I would wait for the next upgrade. It will probably be wireless and have better buttons. The scroll ball could be just a little bigger too.
  19. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    I don't think you should pay retail prices for it. It is worth getting for maybe aorund $25-$30. I bought mine in the Marketplace section here for $30 shipped.
  20. sinecurea macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Northern Ireland
    I've got one at home and I use one in work. With the one in work, the scroll ball has stopped working. I tried cleaning it in every way, nothing.
    The one at home, the scrolling in the upwards direction is starting to fail now too.
    I wouldn't buy the mouse again. I like it, but it just keeps failing on me.

21. regre7 macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm getting ready to buy a MBP (that's so awesome to say!), and I'm not buying a mouse because a friend of mine is buying the BT mouse (regular, not mighty) for a MB, and I'll try it out and see if it's worth $53 over the trackpad. I think the lack of a scroll wheel will kill it in terms of usability to me.