MightyMouse stopped scrolling down

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Neo Mike, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Neo Mike macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2005
    My mighty mouse just stopped scrolling down today. Any suggestions on how to clean it? Do I need to return it? I dont have the box or manuals for it anymore or even a receipt.

Let me know!

2. yellow5 macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    I usually just press the scroll button down and blow in it, canned air works too.

Then I just scroll up and down really fast for a little while. That seems to fix it for a decent amount of time.
  3. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I had that problem a few times in the past. I don't think it's broken. I just think it needs to be cleaned. What I do is rub a clean cloth or towel (something that doesn't come apart) over the scroll ball for a bit. It cleans the ball itself. It works for me.
  4. Neo Mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2005

That worked!

5. Hyernel macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    I've cleaned and cleaned and mine STILL won't scroll down.

Scrolls up like a champion
  6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Reboot? I've had my scrolling quit on me and a reboot fixed her up.
  7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    I had a problem with my Mighty Mouse after I updated my Mac to Mac OSX 10.4.3 the update reset pretty much all of my preferences and customisations that I had on the mouse.

If you have just updated check the Systems Preferences first, sounds kind of silly but it fixed all my Mighty Mouse problems.
  8. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
    Any other ideas on this? Tried cleaning mine and still wont scroll down. Doesnt make sense that every other direction works fine, except down. I think many the sensor is not making contact or something. Any ideas on how to take it apart without breaking it?
  9. snack macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2004
    I am having this exact issue, except I can't fix it.

I don't have my receipt either.
  10. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Mine won't scroll up.

It's pretty humid where I am and I think there's some gunk on the sensor. I'm pretty sure I have my receipt so it's off to the Apple Centre tomorrow. Damn Apple Centre, not opening on a Sunday, what sort of business doesn't operate on a Sunday. Bargh!!
  11. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Before you try to open it, just try what radiantmark suggested and rub a cloth over the scroll ball vigorously. That has fixed mine numerous times. But if all else fails...and for all you ppl who like to take things apart, here are some blogs that were successful in opening up the mighty mouse to clean out that scroll ball.

CAUTION: On this one the person ended up breaking the collar ring.

This one was done flawlessy:
  12. shirster macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2005
    hong kong
    thanks for the link ! ;)
  13. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2003
    you wish
    Greasy fingers

Three weeks ago I had this issue and contacted Apple. I didn´t have the receipt, but by checking the serial no, and the fact that it hasn´t been on market for more than a few months, they said it was covered by the warranty. They also said it was a well-known issue.

While waiting for the new unit I cleaned the rubber ball with a tissue dipped in alcohol (60%). Now it works as good as it used to – and I ended up having two Mighty Mouse. Of course, I had to pay for the replacement unit but it was approx. 30% cheaper than retail.
  14. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The same thing just happened to me. I just help the mouse upside-down, pushed down the 'nipple' and frantically scrolled for a couple of seconds. Seemed to do the trick.
  15. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

Well done Apple Centre. They replaced it straight up. I now have a brand new Mighty Mouse and there is no way in hell any of my mates are going to use it ever again, when they come over the old MS mouse comes out.
  16. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Haha! I good plan. Wash those hands before use too ;)
  17. davegoody macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2003
    Reading, Berkshire, England
    I have a similar problem

Mine does not scroll left to right ! - Maybe I could give you mine and you could use two at the same time, mine for up and down and yours for left and right ! - Seriously though THIS IS THE WORST QUALITY ITEM I HAVE EVER EVER EVER PURCHASED FROM APPLE - HOPE THIS IS NOT THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME !
  18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Mine stops scrolling up occasionally, as someone else said above I just try scrolling up and down vigourously until the functionality comes back.

As a sidenote, I've also noticed that some pages have Flash adverts in them, which if you scroll over will "swallow" any scroll events so it gets stuck. A few times I thought the ball hand gunged up again, but it was simply a case of moving the cursor (via the mouse itself) out of the advert, and normal service resumed.
  19. jkandell macrumors member

Sep 6, 2005
    Tucson AZ
    What works for me is turning the mouse upside and rubbing it in various directions pressing the mouse/button down against the mousepad while you do so. Some suggest a paper towel instead of mouse pad, but the latter works for me. I found "cleaning" it in less dramatic ways doesn't solve the problem.
  20. MacsX2 macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2005
    The hold-house-upside-down-and-wipe-scroll-ball worked! Thanks!
  21. HERAG1 macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2007
    This way worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been freaked for 4 days with the same problem scrolling up. I tried cleaners as all the people here did, and didn't even worked. But today, a few minutes back I found the only instant way to make that Mighty mousse work for always and forever again.

Using this:
    http://www.dispozo.com/Images_.jpg/straw update 0206.jpg

I took one (the clear ones) and trapped the ball and push the straw into the crevise with the ball inside the straw I start to scrubb circles and all that residue inside and under the ball started to emerge from underneth the ball and sticking to the straw ring showing the built up of dirt I never guessed was there. It was a enjoyable surprise to discover this way of cleaning the mighty mouse. Pass the tip! This is what i'm doing! :D
    P.D: (pardon my lack of english writting)
  22. bijou macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    Unfortunately that's the situation for me as well.
    MM is just sitting in a device carousel, staring at me.:(
  23. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    Alicante, SPAIN
    I have many Apple products and 95% of them I love, unfortunately the Mighty Mouse is not one of them. I am not a dirty barsteward and so cannot work out why the scroll ball gets so clogged up, so quickly, and stops working :rolleyes: I have a wired MM and wireless MM and both suffer from the same problem. I have stopped using both. The cleaning procedure that Apple states only lasts a short while before the problem persists.

Serves me right though. I purchased a Microsoft Laser Mouse 5000 and now I cannot double click and the mouse pointer miraculously moves by itself whilst on the mouse mat, usually waking the computer.
  24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    I took mine apart a couple weeks ago. It was SOO dirty around the ball so i cleaned it all up and put it back together. I can't get the collar piece back on. Because i think it was glued on but it works fine without that piece. I might glue it back on when i get some time. And now i think it will work for another 10 months before the other cleaning methods stop working, and will need to open her up again. :)
  25. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2005
    I've found that the absolute best way to clean the Mighty Mouse is to take a white sheet of computer paper out and lay it on your desk. Then, flip the mighty mouse and press the ball down on the paper. Roll the mouse's ball in all different directions on the sheet of paper.

Look at the paper in disgust, as it is now covered in filth!

Enjoy your Mighty Mouse again.