Migraine/headache Remedies

Discussion in 'Community' started by PlaceofDis, Nov 30, 2004.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ok guys and gals....

i get migraines and headaches all the time, since the eighth grade, which is oh about nine years of dealing with them now

my problem is i know the prescription stuff doesnt work, and 95% of the time my own remedies work better so i stick to that stuff, however, my head feels worse around this time of the year when the weather is going crazy out here in the midwest

so what do you guys do? any home remedies? any secret that works for you or trick?

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

coffee crisp...i know its not much of a remedy but it helps my headaches.

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

its probably the caffeine in there that helps your headaches, hence why i drink up the tea and Mountain dew when my head hurts, but its not always enough

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Sorry to hear you suffer from migraines. I randomly had migraines while growing up (my mother had lots so I think I inherited them). February of 2003 I started getting them all of the time. I'm talking several times a week....along with regular headaches. They tried Imitrex and Lortabs (sp?) but those failed. Often I would end up sick in the ER or at my doctor and get 3 or 4 horse-needle size shots that would end up knocking me out for 24 hours.....when having one I am unable to talk properly ( I speak but the wrong words come out so it's hard to communicate). They then tried a preventative medicine which I took before I went to bed that lowered my blood pressure, but this really affected my ability to do anything all day....too tired. Right now I take Migrazone (Midrin). When I notice a migraine coming on I take 2 of these, 1 more an hour later, 1 more in another hour, and 1 more in another hour (5 total). These are great for me. They help me fight off a migraine.....though I feel like a zombie for about 10 hours (but the zombie state is billions of times better than having a migraine). I'm kind of lucky that I can tell when I am getting one (only one time did it hit me without warning). Usually I get nautious, dizzy, and have blind spots in my right eye........so I then know to take the Migrazone. I've also had to focus on my diet. I keep track of things I eat (especially different things). With me I notice that within a week of eating a "trigger" food I'll get a migraine. I've had to eliminate pasta (the big one), onions, wine, and fig newtons. I've also limited myself to one can of soda per day (this has helped with normal headaches). My mother had to stop eating fried chicken and chocolate, they were "trigger" foods for her. Since eliminating these foods I've reduced my migraines from several a week to probably about 1 every 3 or 4 months. And when I do get one the Migrazone does it's job.
    To those of you who have never had a migraine, be understanding to those you know have them. They are absolutely awful and you couldn't even begin to understand what it is like. They are not normal headaches. Here is a good article: http://www.migraines.org/myth/mythreal.htm
    Go to this website to read more: http://www.migraines.org/

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's all in your head.

Edit: Holy crap. I wanted to make a joke, but after reading Jovian9's post I don't think I will. Poor you dude.

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

You should consider acupuncture. I usually had a fit where I'd have 1 come up out of nowhere during a semester (last fall semester), and it would usually be bad enough to wake me up at night. And I was having 8am engineering courses too. Somehow they went away on their own in the spring semester ('04). Finally, in the summer they came back again and I said, that's it, I've had enough.

So I end up learning bout a guy down in VA (I don't want to reveal the name in sake of confidentiality, my own and the guy's firm), but he diagnosed that many of my headaches came from a basketball neck injury I had when I was about 16.

He ends up doing the acupuncture treatment (begin with the 4 points, 2 in the arms and 2 in the legs); then he turned me on my back and put needles on my back and neck. My god, the ones that went into my neck felt great (like relieving the tension).

After just 2 treatments, i can conservatively say that most of my worst migraine/headaches are completely gone. I still get lil bops and boops, but to be honest, those are far more tolerable than the splitting ones I used to endure.

on a scale of 1 to 10, I went from 8-9's down to 3-4's. I mean, seriously, it was almost life-changing the difference it can make. Obviously, I'd like it to go to 0, but that's not likely to be easy or plausible.

*ok, sorry if I made the acupuncture sound like it's instantaneous. Of course its not. I still experienced headaches over the 3-4 following weeks, but lemee tell you, the severity of them was reducing steadily, until they were, well, livable.

I mean, heck, the weekend after the treatment, I woke up w/ another migraine and I was pissed b/c I thought it hadn't worked. Well the next week after that, it was the first time, in a LONG time, that I woke up withOUT a migraine! That was a huge step for me, and something I am eternally grateful to the acupuncturist for.

7. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Ok, I realize acupuncture may sound scary and even painful.

But remember, if you have migraines, you will understand that you would do almost anything to get rid of them. Heck, I made the decision almost immediately to do this (instead of taking drugs that make me drowsy/dizzy/lose awareness).

8. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

One Word
    Marijuana

My Essential Migraine kit includes the following:

1. Soft relaxing music, Classical, jazz. Jazz is Dead is my preferred band.
    2. Several incense sticks, preferably cedar.
    3. One small 7inch long silk pillow filled with lavender scented flaxseed, for laying on the forehead.
    4. Dark room.
    5. Soft, clean sheets.
    6. Total nudity.
    7. Wife, to give soothing but not erotic massage, total nudity applies to both parties.
    8. steaming cup of green tea, no sugar.
    9. One half gram or two hits of "the kind" (schwag will NOT work).
    10. One clean glass bubbler.

Mix throughly.

One hour later all you are left with is a migraine hangover.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

deadhead's solution applies to more than just migraine problems ;) :D :rolleyes:

10. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

some good suggestions so far, keep em coming though

i dont think acupuncture would work for me, and i would fail with most prescriptions, perhaps if the severity of them keeps up i will approach my doctor about that one though.....

what works for me 98% of the time is NyQuil, just knocks you out and lets my body relax, i wake up refreshed and normal, no 'migraine hangover' or anything else, just a funky feeling in my stomach from that stuff, but the only problem with this is you need a time frame in which to sleep, which is not always feasible

ive also found Excedrin Tension/Migraine relief to work in most instances, but not always

hot showers and a cold cold damn cloth always helps relax too

but again with most of this stuff its being in a veg state

for example, im sick for the first time in years, i cant remember when the last time i was sick, but im emotionally distraught for the first time too, and thats messing me up as well, and it is the end of the semester here which is paper and craming time for english majors, anyways, i have a ten page paper due in five hours, i have one paragraph done, the reason no more? migraines, ive had one for almost two weeks now, although in the middle there it faded for a day or two to a headache, but its back in full force, and it was bad enough last night that i got sick to my stomach, a rare thing because i have been getting them long enough that the nausea usually has no affect on my body, seriously, the only thing that ever hurts me anymore are these migraines, its like its my kryptonite or something, but im kind of rambling on here....time to get to work on that paper about the two germanies during the cold war...booo

11. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

ok so its now 10:40 am where i am, and i have until about 1:30pm to do this **** paper

but thats not important because my headache/migraine is petering out, i mean its for some reason just starting to fade, has been for the past ten minutes, this has never happened before, so weird, i feel so much better, and i didnt take any meds or anything since waking up today, i wonder if this was just a pressure headache and thus thats why its going, but whatever i have a paper to do now, i need to get like seven pages done in three hours, ha, i doubt it will happen, and i will probably get a horrible grade too boot, but like i mentioned earlier, this has been my worse semester since starting college.....

blah....

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I get migraines and unfortunately have never managed to identify the trigger.
    I've had less though (down to one or so a year from 4 or 5 a year) by taking a dose of feverfew (a herbal remedy) every day (regardless of migraine or not). It doesn't appear to have any side effects so might be worth a shot.

13. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

For migraine/headache releif, grip your index finger firmly with the opposite hand, as to warm your finger.

Warming your finger this way causes the blood running through it to get warm quickly, and the warm blood makes its way to the part of your brain that is causing the problem.

No one knows exactly why, but the introduction of warmer blood to the brain is capable of releiving your pain.

The idea is to warm only your finger because that way only your blood will get slightly warmer, and not all of your body. That leads to your blood being warmer than the rest of your body currently is (if you just tried to warm yourself entirely, your brain would warm up too and would not be effected by the blood, because they both got equally warmer).

You want your brain to remain the same temp, but receive warmer blood.

Another method, if possible, is to have sex (no joke). Not only does this warm your blood, but it also releases endorphins that ease pain and increase pleasure in the brain (and elsewhere).

14. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

i know that sex helps, but not having a significant other makes the one difficult LoL, ill have to give that warming thing a try next time i get one, i dont know about it though, that whole pinching the skin between your thumb and finger didnt work either, but im willing to try

15. Einlanzer macrumors newbie

Migraine Relief

Aromatherapy - Peppermint oil - has know migraine relief properties

Homeopathy - depending on the cause of the migraine there are many solutions - arnica montana if it is usually brought on by muscle issues, etc.

If you are a man (sorry but I wasn't sure, but most likely as sex helps your headache :D ) - you may be suffering from a Cluster headache - which are usually misdiagnosed as migraines, but usually just as painful.

Also, many food allergies can manifest themselves as migraine, try and keep track of food that you consume before the onset.

See a Naturopathic Phsyician for a proper assessment - Allopathic phsyicans are more likely to give you dugs that just mask the issues.

Migraines suck - I know what your going through, I just wish sex took my away :rolleyes:

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been suffering with migraine and sinus headaches since I was 7. Usually, once I get a sinus headache, the migraine comes along to add to it. I've had some so bad that hitting my head against the wall makes it feel better.

I've tried various meds. Imitrex is like water to me. Excedrin migraine formula is the same as the regular formula and dulls the pain by about 25 percent. Ibuprofen in a combination with an iced coffee usually helps within 2.5 hours. Butabital (a barbiturate) works within 30 minutes and nearly eliminates the headache. :) One thing I haven't mentioned is Pepto-Bismol. When I was small (okay I'm still short :D), my mum would give me Pepto-Bismol and I would vomit and then, I would feel better.

I've noticed a lot about environment. I had a lot of sinus headaches and occasional migraines living in Indiana and Ohio. When I moved to Philly, I had a few sinus headaches and a migraine about every 9 months or so. Now in Floriduh, I get a headache almost every day with severe migraines once a day in summer. Even my arms and legs seem to be affected during the worst of them. I've learned to control them somewhat with directed thought toward isolating the problem, envisioning the elimination of the headache. This works when it's just noticeable but of course, the pain decreases my concentration later.

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Interesting....worth a try next time (the finger idea). Sex would definitely be great, but my migraines are intense and I cannot do anything. I have to go in a pitch black room to avoid light, avoid sound, avoid any movement, avoid smells, etc (when the medicine does not work). My senses are pretty heightened and everything increases the pain. But I'll try the finger idea next time, and post back in this thread about the results.

18. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

where can i find this Butabital? LOL

but anyways, it seems like you get what i get, pressure migraines, when the weather shifts randomly and dramaticly im sol, so for the stable months im well, but fall and spring can be hell, not to say that i dont get them during the summer/winter, just less

ive found that i can get rid of em through many methods, but none are quick, a half hour wouldnt be bad...

forcing yourself to walk around and not just lay there does help, it does wonders really, but its that willpower to do it that makes it so hard, sex helps as i said before, but never makes it go all away, but it would be nice

19. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

20. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i used to suffer from horrible daily migraines since i was a child. the pain was so intense it literally hurt to think. it all went away when i started smoking marijuana regularly. i dont smoke nearly as much as i used to but now i only get migraines when im under severe stress.

thats just my experience, take it for whatever its worth. oh, and make sure youre drinking plenty of fluids

21. iceTrX macrumors regular

I'm a migraine sufferer. Just about all my migraines are preceded by a aura, where I have spots of flickering light in my vision. The headache part of the migraine is no where near the worst of it, sometimes my migraines get so bad I lose part of my vision, temporarily impairing my ability to drive, and severe nausea where I am sick to my stomach. Normally when I have a bad migraine like that, it is also accompanied by cold sweats, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There might be a dental piece you can wear at night to stop pressure on a certain nerve that will stop your migraines. My mom has one, and I don't quite remember all the details, but it is a small little thing. Also, sometimes sunglasses will press in the corner of your nose/eye intersection and cause nerves to get angry (aka, you get migraines). So ask your doctor for more info... I'm just saying what I remember.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Right... kill of your brain instead of finding ways to treat it... not good.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, I would have liked to have gotten out of bed, but waking up in the summer with the most severe of them and having my legs and arms nearly useless, it wasn't easy.

Another thing I've noticed is occasionally, there is gas involved, pressure from the inside out as well as the headache. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't get blurry vision, clamminess/sweatiness, and increased sensitivity to external stumuli, but it hardly matters as much.

As for the Butabital, talk to a doctor. As much as I dislike doctors, they sometimes do some good. (That's as far as I'll ever get to praising them.) There are several others related meds that may also help. Of course, because the substance is regulated, you have to be careful about driving, drinking, and such things.

25. acceber macrumors regular

Sleep always works for me. I always take Panadol or Herron or something before I do though.

Actually, it doesn't really seem to make a difference if I take paracetamol or not...as long as I sleep. :)