Migrate iTunes library *with* metadata to a new machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damnpanpan, Oct 31, 2006.

1. damnpanpan macrumors newbie

I have searched this forum and the internet for examples of how to move my iTunes library metadata from my iBook to my Mac mini, but I can't find any good answers. I keep my iTunes library automatically organized and I have the library consolidated. The library itself is stored on an external drive and I have that working fine from my iBook.

I want to move my playlists, etc. into the Mac mini and keep all the metadata. I will also plan to keep the library in the external drive and just point to it from within iTunes. Why is this so hard?

This article is the closest I've seen to an answer, but I'm hoping that there is a cleaner solution.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Assuming your library is pointed to the external on the iBook just go to the file Menu and select Export Library, transfer the file iTunes exports to your new Mac, plug in the external hard drive into your new Mac and choose File==>Import on the library file you exported.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

the link you pointed to was if iTunes does not organize your library

all you need to do is copy and paste your iTunes library to your new machine

or did I misread the question?

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

You need two things:
    1. The audio files.
    2. The iTunes XML file.

Put the audio files wherever you want. It shouldn't matter. Put the XML file where your current iTunes XML file is (or would be).

Do a complete search+replace in that XML file (save a copy, just to be safe) to change all the file paths to match where the song files actually are.

I've done this several times. It can be quite daunting at first, but it's not that bad. :)

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

but he has iTunes automatically organize & consolidate his music. Everything should be in the iTunes folder

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If the files themselves are going to continue to reside on the external, the only thing you should have to move is the XML file, right?

7. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

why not just keep everything on the external then, and option-open iTunes to the external drive?

We need to know - where is the music going to reside (external vs. mini)

8. damnpanpan thread starter macrumors newbie

Music will reside on an external

The mini has only 20GB free as it is, and my iTunes is about that. :) Damn core solo! I was under the impression that the iTunes.app doesn't work if not installed onto the boot drive/home folder/something like that?

9. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

So all you have to do is hook the mini up to the external drive, hold the option key down when you open iTunes, and direct it to the external drive folder where you music (and xml files) are.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think my method (post #2) is probably the easiest to follow, that's how I transferred my library to my new Macbook.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If you use iTunes to move the files (set a new folder in iTunes pref, consolidate library, wait), then you may not even have to edit the moved XML file.

12. damnpanpan thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks good so far!!

Sweet! I am trying it right now and things look promising. I went to my iBook, connected the external drive, opened iTunes, did File > Export Library… and then it output a Library.xml file that I sent to my Mac mini. Then, I connected the external drive to the Mac mini, opened iTunes on my Mac mini and went File > Import… and selected the Library.xml file that I just sent over.

The playlists began populating in the left pane, I looked at the Library.xml file and it looks like it has the full assortment of metadata in it. Then iTunes went to organize the music, and now it's determining gapless playback information (was already done on the iBook).

I think I should have backed up my iTunes music files, but oh well. I'll post again and mention if anything didn't work as expected.

Thanks again, everyone!

13. damnpanpan thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything works!

I checked videos, podcasts, ratings, play count, playlists, smart playlists, last played, album art, and I think that's it. The one quibble I have is that the Date Added is now all today. Ah well, I suppose that could be technically correct :-/

I can't believe it was hiding under File > Export library/Import this whole time. Good call, Eraserhead.

Thanks again, everyone!