Migrating from MBP to MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PurpleShaman, Feb 14, 2013.

1. macrumors member

hey folks need a little bit of help/advice here. I purchased a the top end 15'' MPBr a few days ago and the apple store's willing to replace it with the new updated model for me.

the only issue is that I need to transfer all my files/programs to the new MBP. I'll have to either do this with an external hard drive migration or thru a firewire transfer in the store.

I have roughly 160GB of data on my MBP right now, if I were to transfer all the data to an external hard drive, how exactly would I do that? Can I use migration assistant to transfer the files to the hard drive, or would I just have to copy and paste it to the hard drive?

If I were to use the firewire, how long would it roughly take to transfer 160GB from MBP to MBP?

Thanks, and please post any other potential ways that I could use!

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I would just attach your external drive and do a full Time Machine backup to it. Then when you get the new machine, at the end of the setup process run Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Machine external drive. That will bring your entire user account and all data across to the new machine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

interesting. never used time machine, but if I back it up there, would that keep all my applications/programs, settings, ect?

4. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Yes. It will essentially make a non-bootable 1:1 clone of your current system.

5. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Yes it will. The only glitch is even though they copy over, some apps (particularly Microsoft and Adobe apps) require you to reenter the registration serial number.