Migrating messages from Navigator 4.74 on PC to Mail on Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mover888, Dec 3, 2003.

1. mover888 macrumors newbie

Other than hand-forwarding 300+ messages through my ISP to a new mail account, is there any way to export folders of email messages from Netscape Navigator 4.74 on my PC (Win95) to Mail on a new iMac?

For instance, can I pluck a mail file off my drive, copy onto Zip or CD, and load it into something on the iMac where Mail could eat it?

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You may end up having to install Netscape on the Mac, copy the mail files over, then run Mail and convert from there.

3. mover888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Any tips on exactly how to move that mail file? Where is it -- what's its extension? Netscape is completely unhelpful on this point.

PS. Did an experiment last night. Went into a folder and Highlighted All messages in a folder, then hit Forward. I typed a forwarding address one time, into one message, thinking I was only forwarding one of the messages I highlighted. When I got to the destination and opened the message, it was a single aggregate message of all the highlighted messages. Not perfect, and I lose findability, but will at least let me cluster the forwards if I need to do it that way. Again -- nothing NS told me to do.

From the dark side of switching...

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Netscape stores mail in a directory, not a file.

Usually in Windows, you can check your mail preferences and it will show the directory where it is located. Just copy the entire mail folder at that point.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You should be able to copy your profile directory with your mail files from windows to the Mac and then Netscape 7 should be able to either import them or see them. I did that when I bought my iBook earlier this year.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've got no idea whether this will work, but try it anyway:

Open Netscape Mail, and resize its window so that you can see the Windows desktop at the same time. Make a new folder on the desktop, call it Mail or something. Now highlight all your email messages, and drag them into that folder.

Copy the folder onto your Mac, and reverse the above steps to drag your messages into Mail.

I have never tried that with Netscape, or Mail, but it works with IE on Windows (I hate it too!)

7. mover888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, all. Found the mail file finally, put it on a Zip and did sneakernet over to the Mac, and asked Mail to import it right off the disk -- did so, with all subdirectories intact.

Address book went easily, too -- Netscape exports to a [fdis?] file that Mail can import from.

no turnin' back . . . no turnin' back . . .