Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsMeAmy

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
It's mid-March and I am just getting up the courage to migrate from my Dell laptop PC to my new MacBook Pro I received for Christmas. I knew the task would be agonizing thus the stall. I found this post after stepping through the migration wizard and starting the migration of my data over my home ATT wifi. 33 hours and 27 minutes was the original estimate for migrating 30GB of data. After about 20 minutes, I'm now down to 15 hours 52 minutes bobbling up and down slightly as the blue bar creeps along. I don't have an Ethernet connection cable so I will just wait this out and hope things pick up the pace.

Moscool

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Does anybody know what happens if you do cancel the migration assistant and simply leave it be afterwards? In my situation, I have a dead/dying hard drive that I removed from this MacBook. I then installed a brand-new hard drive (this time SSD), installed OS X from scratch, installed all updates, in then connected my old hard drive as an external hard drive and started migration assistant to transfer everything over. (I do realize that I could have manually copied over items into my new library etc to see which data may be corrupt one folder at a time). This was yesterday, and initially it said that it would take over 80 hours, which I was fine with having experience with dying hard drives, but surprisingly this morning, it says there is less than one minute left. That was over four hours ago. I am going to let it sit for the rest of the day and will check on it after work, though the clickety-clack of the dying drive is telling me that the less than one minute left may never happen. I am hoping that everything that can transfer has transferred, and I can simply kiss whatever was left in that last minute goodbye. I just want to know if anyone here actually knows if the completed data transfer progress will actually stick and if anyone has simply left their system be after using migration assistant and canceling like this.

Moscool

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
So a couple of things as I'm in the middle of doing precisely this...

1) If you cancel and then restart, say half-way, Migration Assistant will already have created your account. It will therefore highlight a conflict. It then lets you choose if you want to keep both accounts or if you want to move the first one to 'deleted users'. What it will not do is to overwrite the files

2) My backup drive is attached to a time capsule. Post-cancellation I tried to connect the drive (USB3) directly to the computer. Doesn't work. Somehow it *needs* to go through the time machine. No clue why. Tried everything (mounting the disk image etc.)

3) When I resumed I switched off wifi on the lap top and ensured that the Time Capsule was also off wireless. Then connected ethernet both sides (directly to the TC, not going through the LAN). And the speed was... exactly as before :( although the estimated time dropped from 30+ hours to about 20.

Go figure...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Ugh . . . went to bed with it showing 6 hours+ (which was what it said shortly after it got started). Woke up 8 hours later and it said 16h remaining ! At least the blue bar had moved. Oddly, it no longer showed the transfer speed (wired GigE)

Moscool

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Ugh . . . went to bed with it showing 6 hours+ (which was what it said shortly after it got started). Woke up 8 hours later and it said 16h remaining ! At least the blue bar had moved. Oddly, it no longer showed the transfer speed (wired GigE)

I finally sorted it out! By connecting a fast drive directly to the machine (and more crucially) getting it to recognise both the drive and the old backup...

Connect the drive directly to your computer
STOP time machine in the prefs
Choose the drive in the prefs
Restart TM

At this point the backup preparation will take quite some time as it compares all the files but once this is done, the backup itself will be very quick.

If you then to reinstall the drive elsewhere, follow the steps as above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.