Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
I recently purchased a used eMac with OSX 10.3.9 to replace an older iMac with OSX 10.2 8 which lost its AV board. I have removed the HD from the damaged iMac and inserted it into an external drive enclosure.

I am wondering how to transfer all the files and applications from the external drive to the "new" eMac.

I have a PowerBook with OSX 10.4.8 which includes Migration Assistant on it, but I can't figure a way to use it. Will it work under OSX 10.3? If not, how can I transfer all the files from one drive to another?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Migration Assistant on 10.3.9 will be able to get data from any OS back to 10.1, but I sincerely recommend you do all of this manually instead of using the assistant. Simply drag your documents and media across from the old drive to the equivalent locations on your new drive. Manually reinstall your apps from their various CDs and DMGs. There's less chance that you'll get corruptions and idiosyncratic behaviour this way. :)

arcing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
arcing

Migration Assistant on 10.3.9 will be able to get data from any OS back to 10.1, but I sincerely recommend you do all of this manually instead of using the assistant. Simply drag your documents and media across from the old drive to the equivalent locations on your new drive. Manually reinstall your apps from their various CDs and DMGs. There's less chance that you'll get corruptions and idiosyncratic behaviour this way. :)

Thanks - all went well. Plus this way led to much more being archived or tossed out completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.