Migration Assistant from PPC to Intel

Discussion in 'OS X' started by heatasmallhouse, Jun 1, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've got a 12" PB that I love to death, but I need more kick as I start getting into video. I'll be purchasing a MBP soon and I had heard some rumors about people running into issues down the road if they use migration assistant from a PPC laptop to a MBP with Intel. Everything works great and then they start getting strange "quirks" in OS. No further detail on what those quirks would be. I run FCP, Cubase, and After Effects like its my job so I'm concerned about keeping the MBP nice and quick, and considering the pain in the butt that is the drag and drop firewire method (I hate messing with settings).

Has anyone done the PPC to Intel transfer (hopefully specifically G4 laptop to Intel laptop) with or without problems? How was the experience, how long ago did you do it, and how has your Intel been treating you?

2. macrumors 68000

I had no problems. I did it about 8 months ago. Tiger has been getting more stable on the Intel side as things go along. For a while, I was not satisfied with the reliability of Tiger on intel hardware.

3. macrumors 6502a

I did it from a G4 eMac to a MacBook and 5 months later have had no problems at all.

4. Moderator emeritus

yellow

No problems at all. Just did a PB -> MB the other day. Worked like a charm. The user loves it! Did my own PB -> MBP about 6 months ago. Never had an issue.