migration assistant / target disk mode help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thumb, Jul 12, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

hi all,

i have a tibook and a new mini. i have been setting up the mini manually as i want to make sure all the apps that can be UB are, so i did not copy wholesale the files from the tibook.

i do want my music, photos, videos, documents tranfered however, which seemed like a perfect task for migration assistant.

i do the taget disk mode (TDM) rigamorole, and the tibook clearly goes into TDM. my connections are all solid. Mac assist recognizes the process during its walk through, but it never gets past the "waiting for disk to appear" message. It does not seem to recognize my tibook as a disk, nor is it appearing in the finder.

any suggestions on

a) how to get migration assistant to find my tibook

or

b) best alternative for tranferring these kinds of files?

cheers, and thanks a bunch.

2. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

any thoughts?

my best work around at this point is to use my ipod as a hard disk and transfer them that way.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Using the iPod sounds like an excellent idea. Was your old PowerBook running normally up until now? It can still boot up, right? Could the Firewire cable be dead? Or perhaps the port?... :)

4. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for replying madjew

i went ahead and used the ipod, cumbersome but doable.

the powerbook works great. i use the firewire port with my ipod without incidence. in the migration assistant, it recognizes that i have a powerbook, it can tell when it is on, being restarted, or in TDM, but it wont find any drives.

puzzling, but in the end worked around.

thanks.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Well I'm glad you eventually managed to get your data across anyway. :)

6. hilstranter macrumors newbie

Migration assistant only half works

Dear All,
    Can you help?
    Lovely new iMac - old G4 with OSX Tiger.
    Old G4 has original hard drive (8GB!) divided into 2 partitions PLUS additional internal hard drive (80GB) which has all my work on it.
    When I follow Migration Assistant instructions the original 2 partitions show up on new desktop but then nothing else happens - the screen stays black - no symbol or appearance of second drive.
    (Second larger drive is my start up disk.)
    Any tips?
    Thanks, Trant