Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, Jun 9, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have a PowerBook G4 and a MacBook. I want to copy files and applications from my PB to my MB. I decided I was going to use Migration Assistant, but then saw that you have to copy all apps and files. I just want to select some. I know I could just do this via FireWire Target Disk Mode, but it doesn't transfer Application Support like Migration Assistant. I know I could do this manually but I have tried it before with things like Photoshop Elements 2.0 and it didn't work properly. What am I to do? Any app that is FREE?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope. Your best bet is to use Migration Assistant and then delete what you don't want/need off the MBP. Otherwise you have to 1) do it by hand, or 2) reinstall them all.

3. gelatin macrumors 6502

im just about to use migrations assistant to transfer from my ibook g4 to my MBP

doing this wont wipe my ibook will it?

is there anything i should be aware of before doing this?

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

your iBook will be unaffected. does the MPB have a clean install or are there user accounts already present. If the latter is the case, know that migration assisstant will make a second user account on your MBP for and accounts with the same name.

5. gelatin macrumors 6502

it is not a clean install
    i can just delete one of the accounts after right?

will it also transfer my firefox bookmarks and passwords?

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I'd make a temp admin account, login to it, use mig. ass. to move over your G4 account, then delete the temp account and yes, your application support files will be transferred.

7. Snowbound macrumors regular

Just used Migration assisstant with two MBPs. Thought it was noteworthy enough to say that it worked flawlessly as far as I can tell. If you need to transfer data, it works well.