Migration Manager vs Manual Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Baculo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Baculo macrumors newbie

I have read in a few places that it is better to manually set up a new computer rather than use the Migration Manager (MM). Having used MM a few times on a few different computers, and having small problems with some preferences, accounts, and applications, I am wondering if it would be better to manually set up my new iMac 24".
    I am interested in migrating some important items such my Address book, Keychain, Mail, iCal, Fetch bookmarks, and probably some others that I don't remember off hand. Can I simply drag the appropriate files from the old Mac Application support folder to the new iMac, or is more complicated than that?
    I did try searching both this forum and the Apple discussion board without much help.

Thanks

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

if you're just dragging Preference files then there shouldn't be any issues. If you're going to try to transfer applications, you're really going to want to use Migration Assistant, since it grabs all the invisible/system files you'd need to run the apps.

3. Baculo thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I realize that I would have to manually install applications IF I don't use MM.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Here is my opinion and experiences:

I used the migration assistant betwee G4 powerbook, G5 iMac and G5 powermac. Worked really well, no major problems (occasional re-registration of software).

When I got in Intel Mac, I heard anecdotally that people who used the migration assistant experienced "slowdowns" which they attributed to transferring over PPC programs that required the use of Rosetta. I transferred things manually in this case.

5. Baculo thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, so I am going from a PPC eMac to the new intel iMac. I have started the migration by dragging some of the preferences. iCal worked fine. Address book also came right up on the iMac. However, Mail is asking me to set up an account, as if it is not "seeing" the Mail preferences in the Library folder. In addition, I can't figure out how to move over my Keychain settings. Anyone have any suggestions?

6. Baculo thread starter macrumors newbie

Found this site which helped a lot in moving my keychain from one computer to another:
    http://harkeydesign.com/node/145

I have now successfully migrated most of my important applications including Mail, iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, and Keychain. I am reinstalling other applications.

7. Baculo thread starter macrumors newbie

dreanweaver sites?

Anyone know where the Site information is stored for Dreamweaver mX. I got the site files moved over but unfortunately, the links to the servers were reset to default (ie all the addresses, directories and passwords were missing). I have to go in and manually add back all the server info.