Migration / setup assistant.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aussie_geek, Jun 25, 2006.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

i have 2 Macs in my care at the moment - an iBook G3 and a PowerBook 12 inch G4. Both are running 10.3.9. I want to use Migration / setup assistant to transfer a user and apps from the iBook --> PowerBook. Setup / Migration assistant is not installed on either of them - it is only included in Mac Os DVD's on Macs after 10.3.5 (i think).

My plan is to use a copy of the tiger migration assistant from my PowerBook (see sig). I have copied the App over and associated frameworks from the library / system folder. the App runs on the PowerBook 12 inch - it must not be Tiger dependant.

My question is - should I go ahead with the migration using migration assistant from tiger? has anyone else done this before??

thanks

aussie_geek

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

As a rule, I avoid using Migration Assistant for anything but the basics - media files and documents. Assuming the app even works properly when migrating for you, I wouldn't use it for other settings and apps. I'd be interested to hear how it goes though. :)

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I went against the advice of the brilliant Jewy and used Migration Assistant to move my Applications folder as well as my Documents folder when I bought a Powerbook recently. It worked fine, everything's the same as my iBook!

Since I know I'll ask for your advice again, will you forgive me Mad One??? :eek:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Forgiven. :D

I'm glad it's all working properly for you though. It should be fine. I just like to play it safe. :)

5. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

what i was asking was is it ok to use tiger's migration assistant on 2 panther systems.

it doesn't matter now though - i have installed tiger on the powerbook and will transfer all the stuff from the ibook using migration assistant on the 10.4 system.

i just wanted to transfer all the settings / apps / docs without formatting the powerbook and upgrading to tiger.

i recently used migration assistant on a macbook and a powerbook - no probs.

aussie_geek

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Glad it's all working for you. :)

What I was in-eloquently trying to say is that there are some differences in where certain aspects of a user library are kept on a Tiger system as compared with a Panther one. I think for the basics it should've worked properly though. :)