Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PlaceofDis, Jan 12, 2006.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    okay yeah this is a weird thread i know i know.

but anyways. i grew up drinking Whole milk, i hated milk as a kid. but when i went away to college i started drinking 1% Milk, and i started to enjoy milk again. however, i now have moved on and only drink Soy milk, be it vanilla, chocolate or plain Soy milk.

i was just curious as to what everyone's preference in milk was, and do you just drink it randomly when you feel like it? or is it always with a certain meal or with a certain food?

now i'm going to go enjoy some Chocolate Soy Milk :D
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Now only drinking skimmed in coffee and muesli... not entirely sure whether dairy products are an entirely good or even natural thing to consume. Don't like soya milk... Cheese doesn't agree with me any more, which is a shame. That's not to say I've stopped eating cheese — it's just that I seem to have problems digesting it.
  3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    I dunno if im an oddity or what, but it seems a lot of people get down on milk as they get older. I love it...Funny thing, i used to be Lactose-intolerant but I grew out of it and still drink Lactaid b/c mom became interolant...ironic. We get i think what's considered lowfat, 1 or 2%, don't remember. So yeah. Milk. woot. :)
  4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    For the most part I stick to 2% milk. 2% seems to be the sweet spot for milk IMO.
    I really like the Silk Soy milk, nut I share fridge with others and they don't like it. So we've come to an agreement to have 2%.
  5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i'm not sure if dairly products are entriely good for people either. which is why i have basically gone to Soy. it has the calcium and health benefits without the "unnatural" aspect of being dairy. plus i find it yummy, even though i know plently of people who dislike it.
  6. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I grew up on 2% and resisted changing for quite a while. A couple years ago I transitioned to 1%, but in that same period my milk consumption has gone way down. I get small cartons and it still sometimes expires before I finish it. I don't dislike the taste and I don't seem to have any intolerance. I just don't feel like drinking it as much anymore, for whatever reason.
  7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I have stopped drinking milk regularly, but once in a while I get milk cravings and drink a lot of milk.

There's nothing better than home made pizza and milk. :D

I think the dangers of dairy products is a little bit exaggerated. It's not any more dangerous than red meat.
  8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I grew up on 1% for drinking, 2% on cereal. :D

Switched to skim (that's what the girlfriend drinks) after college and don't really mind it until I go visit my parents and realize that I've been drinking white water all along.
  9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    The night I came down with hepatitis in the early 90's, I initially suspected it was indigestion, so I drank about 7 glasses of milk. I would not recommend this.
  10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Childhood: whole
    Teens: 2%
    Adulthood: skim

I can't even imagine drinking whole milk now. It's like the fat gets stuck in your teeth.

I love drinking milk now though, after not much in my early 20s. I love milk with Spagetti, for obvious regressing-to-childhood type reasons.
  11. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    2,000 light years from home
    No milk for me- I don't think I have had a glass of milk in the last 15 years! Although a little milk or cream in my coffee (fake or real) is good with me.
  12. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I drink only skim, unless I happen to be at a restaurant that doesn't serve it and I'm dying for some milk with my infrequent desert.

That being said, I drink Oberweis Skim milk, which for those of you who haven't had it, is like drinking 2%. Somehow they make fat free milk more than simply white water.

And no hormones to the cows, so my daughter won't grow up looking like Pamela Anderson when she's 12. She'll hate me, but hell, I can deal with that.

I drink a decent amount of milk, I suppose. My wife and I go through 3 gallons of skim milk a week, and the 2 kids go through 4 gallons of 2%.
  13. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Can't stand it. Bleh.

In cereal, mixed in with other foods, fine. By way.
  14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    That's what I think to.
  15. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    At the risk of sounding like a commercial

Years ago I started getting worried about all of the antibiotics, hormones, and junk in milk, so I gave up drinking it. Recently, though, I've rediscovered milk through the Horizon brand that doesn't have any of that stuff (presumably). Not that this is the only option for presumably organic milk, it's just what I've migrated to...
  16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm a 2% guy. My rule is, if you can see through it, it ain't milk. :)

I love milk, especially when it's poured into a frosted mug. Mmmmm....

One strange thing I've found...a few hours after eating pizza, I find myself craving milk like no other! I haven't met anyone who feels the same way. :)
  17. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    Whole milk at home for drinking and cereal (I can use some extra fat anyway)

2% lowfat strawberry milk at school with lunch.

Strawberry milk -- no, strawberry anything is teh pwns.
  18. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I love milk, I drink 4-5 pints a week.
    I'll have a pint of whole milk after a night of drinking to settle my stomach.
    Unless there's a risk of puking, bringing up chunks of milk is no fun at all.
  19. Sogo macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    I personaly drink whole milk. I cant stand those 1%, 2% and fat free milks, on the basis that they taste bad to me.
  20. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Heh, I can drink 1%, 2% or wholefat, they all taste good to me :) I don't like skim or soy milk though.
  21. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Grew up on 1%, now it's skim only, 1% tastes/feels like fat heaven, can't image what whole is like. Tonnes of cereal, not too much in a glass. Easily 2 litres/week not quite 4. Love the cheese and yoghourt though, can't get enough. I think our milk's a little tamer here though, not so much steroids and chemicals and what not as down south, maybe I'm wrong, but I remember a few documentaries discussing it.
  22. Sogo macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    Well my issue, was that the percent milks are all watered down. A friend of mine tells me that they taste the same, but I can taste the differnce. But hey, thats just me. :cool:
  23. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I have no idea what 1% milk is... is that like 1% milk 99% cow urine, 99% free thinking, 99% diplomatic immunity? never known that.

I drink full fat milk. really creamy beautiful stuff. never on its own, always with cereal or a milkshake. I'm a bit daft really. If I drink it on its own I keep thinking in my mind-torturous way "This came from a cows teat... this came from a cows teat..." I'm only 9 and a half stone, not really under weight but I could do with a bit more fat on me thats why it's full fat. Then again I balance all that out with mad long walks and adventures so hey! away goes that cow juice.
  24. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
  25. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I rarely drink cow milk anymore for none other than the reason that I don't like it so much anymore. Right now I've taken a liking to soy, almond and especially rice milk. The only cow milk I'll consume nowadays on a regular basis is in ice cream.