Millions of weapons found through airport screening

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
  2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    do they need to start arresting people to make their point? how idiotic are these people not to understand that ANY KINDS OF WEAPONS AREN'T ALLOWED?!?

sorry for yelling, but this is just ridiculous.
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I have to keep reminding myself when I pack to put my Swiss army knife in my hold luggage not in my pocket (where I used to put it).

Before you ask, it's handy...for making sandwiches, cutting cheese and for getting stones out of horses hooves.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    For the majority people just don't realize what items are contraband at the airport. They just innocently forget what they have. There has definitely been an increase in confiscated items during the summer travel season! Traverlers need to be aware and conscious of what they are packing!
  5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I sure as heck don't. I would've never thought nail clippers or curling irons are weapons. :rolleyes:
  6. railthinner macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Just a thought:

What if they started implemting heavy fines for people caught with weapons, even innocently (like grandmas scissors) and put the money collected into a security fund that went toward supplementing the security budget (not to become part of the budget) and could go towards salaries, epuipment......etc. A lot more people would be more cautious about what they pack and stop wasting time and resources. It's like with seatbelt laws -- the risk of death or injury doesn't persuade people to wear a seatbelt, but the risk of a ticket does. A $1000 fine for trying to smuggle a gun? How about prison time. There's no excuse for that.
  7. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I recently came home from vacation to Grand Cayman, where Tortuga Rum is brewed and sold like crazy. Well, I thought it was funny at the airport when everyone and their mother was buying up the tax/duty free liquor and getting on the plane with it. (it was sold in the terminal, so we had already gone thru the checks)

Well, it occured to me that each and every tourist getting on the plane had a lethal weapon. One smack with the bottle (which were freakin huge) would send anyone reeling. Not to mention if they broke the bottle first and had sharp glass edges. But let someone on with fingernail clippers? No way. Snap that 1 inch file off first.

Point is, unfortunately no matter how tight the security, there's always a way...
  8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's getting a bit silly in the UK, we have real problems traveling with the weapons we use for aikido, it's not the dangerous wooden bokken or jo staff that get the attention its the ceremonial steel stuff, they really don't like any of it, but as long as we abide by the hold rules and don't try to carry-on its OK.

Trouble is that some of the ceremonial blades are original and worth a bloody fortune, the insurance is invalid if they aren't locked up or on your hip.
  9. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Some things do get a bit silly. My 7 year old neice had her pair of safety scissors confiscated...let me say that again SAFETY SCISSORS --- the kind that don't cut flesh. I'm just waiting for the day that pens and pencils are confiscated, they're more dangerous than your standard nail clippers...they could puncture much deeper and are more easily weilded.

All I can say is: Zero tolerance sucks and is the most horrific idea ever to be put in place (especially in schools!)
  10. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    My mom brought 2 scissors on the plane once, they only stole one of them, one got through. I am disappointed in the airports for letting it through, and I can't believe my mom tried that.
  11. pinklady1971 macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2010

The rum, hum? could we add a piece of cloth, set it on fire, and throw?

I know what you mean about safety scissors. The teacher sent a note home with my 6 year old stating that he tried to cut his pants with scissors and that was unsafe behavior.
    I would say that it was an attemp to be destuctive and he was breaking the rules, by trying to cut something other than paper. However, she didn't include the word "safety" in her note. So I had images of my son possibly cutting through his pants and into his own leg.
    My note back was, "Why did my son have access to scissors that could cut his clothes or his legg?"
    Her answer, "They were safety scissors, the kind for kids, but this is still unsafe.
    I ask you how and when can "Safety Scissors" be unsafe or dangerous?
    thank you,
    A parent concerned that even Teachers are so stupid that they are blowing things out of poportion.
    Taking safe things away and giving mothers heart attacks.
  12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003

Most random post ever! :D
  13. the vj macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2006
    If you have a pair of clippers or swis army knife is not necessary, you would have to drop it into the trash and that is it. No big deal or extra technical expense, like entering to the movie teathers with food from some where else.

In my case, I may travel each 2 or 3 years and last time I had a swis army knife in one of my pockets and I had to leave it behind at the airport. that was in Aruba.
  14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    Problem with your argument there is a lot of people make honest mistakes and forget to take those objects off them. I used to almost always have a box cutter in my backpocket because of work. I used it all the time at work so I left it there and forgot about it. Well one time I was going to be taking a flight and had on my work pants with my box cutter in my back pocket. I was lucky that I felt it my backpocket when I was checking my bag and I stop them taking it just long enough to put it in my check bag but I easily could of gotten to security before I caught it.

I have another friend who got screwed. He had some pretty nice knife 3-4 inch blade that he had in his backpack he had carried on him for some stuff he did the daybefore and forgot he had put it in his bag and it got missed while he was packing. Now yes it got spotted when he went to the airport. It was not like he was trying to hide it but they arrested him and he had to pay a pretty huge fine plus had to deal with probation for a while.
    It was over reaction because he was calm about it spotted apologize and even said just throw it away but instead they choose to arrest him for it