mime plugin not found

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furcalchick, Dec 27, 2006.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i was trying to play a windows media file on the internet and suddenly, this message came up.

i already have the flip4mac plugin, but i don't see what's wrong here. can you please help me out?:(

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm... my guess is that either you forgot to install the Web Support portion of Flip4Mac, or that MIME type simply isn't registered as something Flip4Mac can handle.

If possible, can you download it and try playing it locally? If that works, the MIME type isn't registered. Alas, I haven't the foggiest idea how to register MIME types.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm...that's an old thread, and DirectX usage has gone waaaay down in the past two years. Any chance you can provide a link to the page that doesn't work?

Also, if you haven't already, in addition to Flip4Mac, install Perian as well.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They played for me in Safari also; in Firefox, the one I tried to show for some reason did not get understood as a media file and Firefox tried to display it as a text document in the window and tanked. :( I'm not sure why...mal-formed header and picky FF?

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i have no idea how this happened...but now i can play those windows media files in safari. i guess it needed a restart after i put in the flip4mac or something...i'll probably never know, but whatever. i can now play windows media files on my mac, and i'm so happy.