Min. hardware requirements for Panther??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cecret, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Cecret macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    Will I be able to upgrade my powerbook g4 400mhz to Panther with similar performance to jaguar or will it really be time for a new machine if I want to use Panther's new features?
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i would say that its probably time for a new machine but you'll have to say
  3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    To make a wild guess based on the improvements featured on Apple's website, I expect you will be fine, but some things will certainly be slow. Most of what's being pushed this time is new features rather than new core technologies (e.g. Darwin, Quartz Extreme, etc.). Some of the features will probably be slow, such as the cube animation when you switch users.

Long story short: I expect you can use it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if you need, say, a 500 MHz G3 or faster.

If they lock out G3s entirely, I will be PISSED because I just got this iBook a year ago.
  4. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    only sucky thing is you probably wont be able to use expose or fast switching. well you will be able to use them, but they wont do it in a pretty way, it will jsut be quick and non gpu extenstive. i expect more details to come up next month at macworld. oh by they way, they wont lock out g4's, thats just ignorant because they just updated ibooks, lets have some common sense.

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    No one said anything about locking out the g4. Did you mean locking out the g3?
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah sorry, thanks for catching that for me.

7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I've heard it's supposed to be faster on older machines than Jaguar. Except for the QE stuff for pre-Radeon cards. I would imagine Apple would want everyone who is currently able to use 10.2 to upgrade to 10.3.

If you have an G4 or 400 MHz+ G3, you should be safe.

If you can run 10.2, you should be able to run 10.3.