Minecraft Pocket Edition for iPad and iPhone Goes Live Worldwide Tonight

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Minecraft, the block-building phenomenon, arrives on the iPhone and iPad for all iOS users tonight.

TouchArcade reports that initial impressions on its forums "seem positive, although some have noted disappointment with how limited the game feels compared to the 'full' version. There's no online play, for instance, only local WiFi, and your portable Minecraft worlds are devoid of both animals and creepers."

Minecraft Pocket Edition is already available in New Zealand and should be available in the U.S. at 11 PM Eastern. Minecraft - Pocket Edition will be available for iPhone or iPad as a universal app, for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Minecraft Pocket Edition for iPad and iPhone Goes Live Worldwide Tonight
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't personally play the game, but I know some people who have been waiting for something like this. I know what they'll be doing all night!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2010
    ...drinking? I guess that's what kids at my university do every night though :p

My roommate will probably enjoy this, he plays Minecraft.

Also: In before jokes about the low Minecraft resolution.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2011
    My kids love this game. But with no creepers or online play, I don't think they'll be playing the iPad version much.
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2010
    It really stinks I can't use this with my device (iPhone 3G). But I did post some info about the game on my Minecraft blog for those of you interested (link).
  6. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    Though I really want Minecraft on my iPad...i'll pass.

Survival mode is the main reason I liked Minecraft in the first place. With no risk of your work exploding what is the point?

I'll buy once real minecraft is on the iPad, and not "Pocket Edition". And it should be compatible with the PC version.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2001
    Keep in mind that the iPhone 3G doesn't support OpenGL ES 2.0, and its GPU is something like 4x slower than that of the iPhone 3GS. That combined with Apple dropping iOS 5 support on the device and dwindling user numbers means it's getting harder to justify supporting this device with new games.
  8. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    Disappointing, I was really looking forward to being able to play minecraft multi-player on my iPhone :-(
  9. macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2011
  10. macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2011
    6.99 and looks like that is an intro rate to jump up to 9.99. Still it's probably going to keep me from buying it.
  11. Stefx73, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2011
    couple of gameplay questionsabout the iPad version...

How do you go in the crafting screen?
    How do you know your inventory?

Just to confirm, there is no crafting, no inventory, no mobs.

Just plain creation mode, unlimited block building
  12. macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Weak sauce. I'll wait to see if they actually add all that stuff.
  13. macrumors 65816

Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    I bought this, but once I found out there's no inventory or crafting I haven't touched it since. Hope they update soon!