Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1771726/ - Claimed the new ipad would be introduced

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1771700/ - Claimed the iphone will sell in 32/64/128GB configurations, and claimed the 5.5 would ship later.

And he claimed these only FIVE DAYS AGO.

Can we please stop citing this clown? I don't know why the macrumors administrators love him so much, unless there's some money being exchanged under the table, but he is consistently wrong, and tends to only get things right after other analysts/news agencies have confirmed information.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
No further publicity should be given to him, it's silly. Analyst guesses are not newsworthy.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You mean, a rumor was incorrect? Yeah lets jail him for life! :rolleyes:

Except it wasn't even a rumor, just an analyst making a stupid guess. Analysts are not the same as sources from re/code, WSJ, Mark Gurman. They are almost always completely wrong. I'd love it if MacRumors had a "no analyst" policy, or at least demoted them off the front page.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Ming does splatter predictions all over the board and her supporters come out citing how she was right in some prediction in April while ignoring all the other missed projections before and after.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
You mean, a rumor was incorrect? Yeah lets jail him for life! :rolleyes:

Did i say anything about jailing? I'm referring to the way the administrators cite him as if he has insider information, and often preface his name with "reliable". He's just guessing, like all of us. And he's actually a worse guesser in many ways.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Did i say anything about jailing? I'm referring to the way the administrators cite him as if he has insider information, and often preface his name with "reliable". He's just guessing, like all of us. And he's actually a worse guesser in many ways.

Kid. Unless you work in Apple directly with these products...everyone is "guessing".

gsingham

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
The joke is that this guy will be back guessing again in October for their ipad keynote and as usual be completely wrong

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Kid. Unless you work in Apple directly with these products...everyone is "guessing".

Nope, Wall St Journal, Reuters, etc report on accurate information cited from sources within Apple - And yet on this site, it is Ming who is considered "reliable".

----------

A bunch of people were wrong. Why single him/her/whatever out?

Macrumors singles Ming out as reliable, that's exactly my point. It's time to put an end to that.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Except it wasn't even a rumor, just an analyst making a stupid guess. Analysts are not the same as sources from re/code, WSJ, Mark Gurman. They are almost always completely wrong. I'd love it if MacRumors had a "no analyst" policy, or at least demoted them off the front page.
What about a small section on the track records of each rumor source and analyst whose report makes it to the front page? MR already does some of this (they constantly mention Kuo's track record) but I would like a more standardized approach like the Buyer's Guide.

Certainly some rumors are partially true in one form or another and Apple's plans may change over time (which can result in then-accurate reports becoming inaccurate), but maybe there's a way to give some kind of % number for each rumor/analyst source that is a representation of its reliability. Then the front page could have options to "only show sources with x% or higher reliability as of today."

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Macrumors singles Ming out as reliable, that's exactly my point. It's time to put an end to that.

Why would MacRumors cut the hand that feeds them?
Let's be frank. There is no journalistic integrity here (none expected).

It's a rumour site whose revenue is generated through advertising based on clicks per thousands.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007

That's not true at all. Many (those who are always correct) have insider contacts. Prime examples would be Jim Dalrymple or John Gruber. The difference with them is they don't speculate, or they clearly label it as such when they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.