Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
My debate begins - but to be decided by this time next week (all prices edu)

New iMac 24" 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
500GB HDD
GeForce 7600 256MB
Wireless Keyboard & BT MM
Applecare

$2,748

Mac Mini 1.83 Core Duo
2GB RAM
Wireless Keyboard & BT MM
23" Apple Cinema HD Display
Applecare

$2,101

Add $149 to both orders for Final Cut Express HD.
I really like the look of the ACD. The white iMac is not as sexy.
I understand the ACD has no iSight and the Mini has integrated graphics and you can see I am getting FCE HD. I would also be spending another $299 on an IDE (not SATA) 500GB MiniStack which brings the price up to $2,400.
The Mini gives me the ability to upgrade in 18-30 months and turn it into a multimedia server at my tv, but by buying the ACD, I'm either looking at another Mini, a yet-to-be-released mid-tower, or a MacPro.

Anyone notice the 23" ACD and 24" iMac both have 1920x1200. Isn't that odd?

Any suggestions.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
I would stay away from the 23" ACD. There are some good ones out there, but from seeing them in store, and from reading too many horror stories, they are riddled with problems. Even after the recent updates to them at WWDC. So either an iMac 24, or a mini with perhaps a dell 24" screen (which goes at about $750 i think). Or you could wait for an Apple 24" screen, which seems likely now that they have an iMac in that size. But if you don't want to play the waiting game, i would get something besides the apple 23" ACD.

As for the computer, although the iMac is a more powerful machine, with dedicated graphics, you can upgrade and/or change your machine with the mini, and still keep a beautiful display. Maybe some final cut users can help out in that department

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
platypus63 said:
I would stay away from the 23" ACD. There are some good ones out there, but from seeing them in store, and from reading too many horror stories, they are riddled with problems. Even after the recent updates to them at WWDC. So either an iMac 24, or a mini with perhaps a dell 24" screen (which goes at about $750 i think). Or you could wait for an Apple 24" screen, which seems likely now that they have an iMac in that size. But if you don't want to play the waiting game, i would get something besides the apple 23" ACD.

As for the computer, although the iMac is a more powerful machine, with dedicated graphics, you can upgrade and/or change your machine with the mini, and still keep a beautiful display. Maybe some final cut users can help out in that department

Thanks I didn't know that about the 23". The EDU on it is $899, so not a bad price but I would like the built in iSight even though I have a first gen external. Someone else told me I should think about spending a little bit more for a Mac Pro, but I think if I go that route I will probably pick up a used core duo mini off ebay and wait till leopard and ACD's with built in iSights to get the Mac Pro.

sorry but I don't really want a dell screen. I like the look of the ACD and the price difference is fairly minimal now.

Haarball

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2006
You're not getting the 2 gigs of RAM from Apple, are you?

I'd go with the "24 iMac. I disagree that it's less sexy, and its graphics capabilities are superior the Mini.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
sorry but I don't really want a dell screen. I like the look of the ACD and the price difference is fairly minimal now.

I know how you feel. I have fallen in love with the ACDs, and want the 23" myself, but they are so troublesome. So I'm still using my now very crammed 17" old samsung, waiting for a good apple display in that size. Although dell uses good panels, since it's something I look at constantly, I want it to be something that I feel 100% comfortable about. So I am playing the neverending waiting game, and hoping for an 24 ACD.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Haarball said:
You're not getting the 2 gigs of RAM from Apple, are you?

I'd go with the "24 iMac. I disagree that it's less sexy, and its graphics capabilities are superior the Mini.

I agree with a graphics capabilities. If I get the Mini it will be for a short time say 18-30 months, to then get a Mac Pro or something with more power down the line.

As far as the RAM, it is $158 to BTO the iMac with 2GB from Apple on a EDU discount. Why would I go to OWC or elsewhere. The Mini is $225 BTO with 2GB and OWC sells 2GB for $215. I wouldn't have to take it apart. Now if I get a used 1.66 Duo SD off ebay, I would upgrade the RAM myself.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
roland.g said:
I agree with a graphics capabilities. If I get the Mini it will be for a short time say 18-30 months, to then get a Mac Pro or something with more power down the line.

As far as the RAM, it is $158 to BTO the iMac with 2GB from Apple on a EDU discount. Why would I go to OWC or elsewhere. The Mini is $225 BTO with 2GB and OWC sells 2GB for $215. I wouldn't have to take it apart. Now if I get a used 1.66 Duo SD off ebay, I would upgrade the RAM myself.
As far as the RAM issue, if the price is cheaper with Apple, then that's the route to go. However, if they are the same (or maybe slightly more expensive with the 3rd party RAM), then I would go 3rd party.

Here's why. With the OWC RAM, you would have 2GB in the Mac and extra RAM elsewhere that you could recycle. Plus, you would have a lifetime warranty on the RAM. With Apple, you wouldn't get the extra RAM and the warranty would only be for 1 year (or 3 years if you get Applecare).

ft

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
If you are considering a mac pro, then get the mini and an ACD. Then you can upgrade to the mac pro whenever it gets a new revision or something. I'd personally just buy a mac pro now, but I guess you want to wait till after Leopard is released

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Alternate choice.

MacBook 2.0 new (hopefully updated to Core Duo 2) or a good refurb.
with a 23" display.

Or a base line MBP since you really need the GPU for Aperture and FCP.

You get processing equal to the mini, but with the benefits of portability.
When you buy your Mac Pro, you have the best of both worlds.

On the other hand,

You may not ever need a MacPro with a well equipped 24" iMac.

It really depends on your workload.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I think a laptop should almost always be free. I had a Dell for the past year which I recently gave away (to my mother who needed it if you must know) that I used for work reasons. I would have bought a MacBook but I got it in 05 and needed windows for work.

I now have retired my G4 tower, too old and slow and hooked my wife's 12" PB up to my 19" LaCie, keyboard, mouse, & G4 HDD via Target Disk Mode. I don't really like that setup. It's too much of a pain to plug and unplug though I find myself wanting to use it in another room. I want a desktop with whatever external drives if nec. always connected. I have ruled the Mini out, unless I go eBay and get a used 1.66 for a stop-gap. I think the Pro is more than I need and a bit too $$, so I am leaning towards the iMac. I just wish it looked like a 23" ACD, even if it had the chin. I think the silver/aluminum looks great. Gotta weigh the $$ vs. options thing in each line and make a decision.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I sorta had the some debate you did, but modified. I was debating between all of Apple's line, but this was about a couple months ago. I wanted a Power PC G5, but I knew the MP would be out soon, so I waited. In the meantime, I weighed all my options. I didn't go for the MBP because it was way more money than a MB for only a little more product. And plus if I was spending that much, it's just as much as a MP. But the iMac. I liked the idea of it all in one, but I kinda didn't like the look totally. Mac Mini I ruled out completely. I planned on getting FCE or FCS (ended up with FCE because it was way cheaper and FCS edu version is not upgradeable). But I got the Mac Pro in the end. I honestly think it is way to much comp for me at this point in time (in college). I want to pursue video editing as a career, but that's not the current path I'm taking (comp engr.). As the new 24" iMac came out, yes, I was envious. And with the soon-to-be MBP, I'm glad I didn't get a MBP or iMac at the time of selection. I really wish I had an ACD, I have two ViewSonics, and one is kinda messed up. I love my MP, but I need to do more stuff with it. You never really feel like your using an Apple unless you have an Apple Cinema Display...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.