Mini and Beachballs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ekenny, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

I seem to be getting a lot of beach balls on my Mini. Ive got the 1.42 GHz one and 1 GB RAM. I use Camino a lot, so thats where I notice most of them. I tried firefox, but it was really really slow, camino just feels better. But even as I type this (as I type more characters in the text box) its seriously lagging. I did a fresh erase and install of Tiger too.

Any ideas?

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you've got something running in the background that's hogging your memory. I've heard Camino can be resource intensive when left open for long periods of time. Try closing it and relaunching it and see if that helps.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Open 'Activity Monitor' from your apps/utilities folder. Look for the bad guy/girl there.

I have the same mini with 512 Mb RAM. Tiger had some serious beachballing until i installed the update. So do that as well if you didn't already.

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Note that text lagging in Camino is an entirely seperate issue from frequent beachballs. It's a bug (which they're working on), but wouldn't cause the beachballs.

5. ekenny thread starter macrumors regular

ekenny

Thanks for the info,

"kernel_task" is using almost a GB of virtual memory, with Camino in at 2nd place with 526 MB.

As far as real memory, camino is using about 145 MB.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

145? That's huge! For me it uses 30, max. :confused:

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try downloading Applejack and running it from single user mode. I'll bet this clears up your problem, without the need to do anything else.

In fact this is the second time in just the last five minutes that I've made this suggestion.