Mini as bootable back-up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fayans, Jan 18, 2007.

1. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

How do I set up my PPC mini as a bootable back-up for my Intel MacBook? Firstly, is it possible?
    Secondly, does SuperDuper do the job?
    Thirdly, do I need to create partitions on my mini?

TQ.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm.... I don't think you can do this.

I'm not sure the OS on a MB bootable on a PPC. The way to try it out is to put the MB in target mode and hook it up to the Mini and boot the mini from it.

Secondly, SD will do the job, assuming the first issue works.

Thirdly, no, because when you put the mini into target mode, only the first partition will show up. (I think. When one puts a box with multiple logical disks in target mode, only the boot/parent drive shows up. I don't see this as being much different with a partition, but I've never tested it.)

3. fayans thread starter macrumors 6502a

fayans

Thanks, yellow. Would try the first one first...

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just put my bootcamped MBP in target mode to attach to another MBP and both partitions showed up. So it looks like you CAN partition the boot volume and have all partitions show up in target mode! :)

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

PPC install

Heya.

I think I tried the other way around to what you did.

I started up my bro's Intel Mini in FW mode, and then tried to boot up my 2.0GHz Dual G5 off it. (God I miss the air deflector and the better build quality)

It didnt work. Having sat on my arse and thought things through, I guessed the Intel Code may not have been able to start up a PPC mac. Perhaps the same issue arises the other way around?

Since, I've bought the 2.66GHz Mac Pro, so I dont need to worry if I have to do the same thing again :)

F

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

The OSs are different. They are not the same between PPC and intel. This won't work.