mini cds and TI's

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by chibianh, Jun 20, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

anyone know if the combo drive can take those business card cd's or mini discs? I know the older dvd drive can't handle them, but what about the combo drives? I had heard somewhere it could handle them, but didn't want to try it myself. Anyone done it?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i think that in the TiBook manual it says not to put in anything except the standard size cds. i think this has something to do with the drive not being able to eject the smaller CDs. it might work, but i'm not game to try it.:D

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

dont do it

dont stick mini CD's in any slot loading drive. It WILL GET STUCK! I think it was Britny Spears that put out some audio Mini CD's as some kind of free promotion ( I could have her mixed up with some one else.... I know it was for little kids) and there was no warrning about not using them in slot loading CD players. There was a huge rash of kids getting them jammed in momys car CD player and dadys computer. You have to remove the drive, take it appart and hand remove the disk.

-evildead

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

evil, I think that the CDs you are referring to only work in peecees.

Here is how I found this out: Some time ago my father got me a copy of Nintendo Magazine, with a special mini-CD bonus, with demos to the upcoming GameCube system. However, on the label, the CD said that it work work in your peecee. And since it has nothing labeled of being used in Macs, that meant that it was not available for Macs. :(

IF the Britney Spears mini you are talking about is basically the same CD that came w/the GameCube package, then it as well is only peecee compatible.

I am not sure if there are mini-compatible CD players that work with Macs, though.

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the problem is not with the mac os, just with slot loading drives. tray loading macs can use these mini-cds (i've used one from the navy in my ancient 6116 with 7.5.1) the problem is one that we mac users have faced for ages, the software is windows only. if you have a tray loading drive, you can stick a mini-cd in there and access the files, but if it's a promo disk with some kind of software or demo, you'll probably only be able to view their little demo on a windows box. i'm not sure about audio mini-cds, but they're probably the same as any other cd and should play just fine in a tray-loading mac.

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

FattyMembrane is right

I use Toast to burn mini CD's all the time. They work just fine. The disk you got just didnt work on a Mac. I make my business card CD's hybrid disks so any one can use it and auto load my index.html file. I burn them on a Mac and play them every where.

Mini CD's are the same as normal CD's, they are just smaller. They not play if they are not commpatable with the computer that you try to play them on. Aduio works just fine, as long as its a try loading CD player.

-evildead

7. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Evildead, where do you order the blank mini-cds? if i buy a tray-loading cdrw they'd be a neat little thing to have.

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

the pbg4 wouldnt work with the new cds -- the new drives use the exact (very similar) drive mechanism therefore these cds cant be used with them...

i beleive the only differences between the drives are the lasers and firmware, however, i dont know too much about this sort of thing.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Memorex makes a good "mini-cd", and I buy them at Circuit City. They're right next to the standard CD-Rs, and they're pretty cheap. They only sell round ones, not odd shapes. Still, they're pretty cool. Very secret agent. ;)

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

evildead is right... I have also made these interactive business cards in director.

A bunch of exec's at Compaq wanted to show them off to their golf course buddies. They work fine if you make them right. Again... they dont play nice with slot loaders.

I recommend tigerdirect.com

Good times'

C-

11. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

You can get them at any computer store. I have seen them even at BestBuy. I picked mine up at Fry's

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

u can get em at ur local tech store like comp usa or best buy. tehy are sold by memorex and can come in a variety of burning speeds.

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Darn u beat me to the punch, evil. O well, guess i got to look at all the posts before responding. :p

Frys has the cheapest of em all cuz they sell generic, unlabled mini cds. So, if ur in for a bargain, go for the unlabled ones.

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

actually when i got that minicd, i played it first in a mac and it worked just fine. it was all quicktime movies anyways. minicds work in any non slot loading drive, as the disc fits fine on the, for lack of a technical term, spinny thing. any cdrom laser can read it if the drive itself can hold it.

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

link

Check out this store... they have some deals on Mini CD's and the card shaped ones.

http://www.mediastore.com

-evildead