Mini Cooper VS Ford F150

Discussion in 'Community' started by neonart, May 26, 2004.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Your question is a little vague. Do you mean that the Mini and the F-150 would hit each other head on or just each would be in a head on collision with a wall? If you meant the former, the test really doesn't indicate who would come out better as the impact zones would be different. The Ford would impact the Mini much higher and would therefore have a different reaction than that shown in the study.

3. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Regardless, we can safely easily which is the safer vehicle.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Not in a head to head of the two vehicles. The added height of the F-150 could cause it the have unintended effects on the Mini. The Ford could possibly end up coming over the top of the Mini and then through the windsheild (hypothetically speaking), and then the driver of the Mini would not come out ahead. They engineer these things for the safety crash test (which are good tests), but that does not necessarily translate to designing for other types of crashes that the car may be involved in, which is not possible.

Not saying that the Mini is not safe or the Ford is safer if the two were involved in a head on collision, but the original poster did make that assertion (at least that is how I read it). And he based this off the results of a test not designed to measure the validity of his assertion.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Ill guess that you mean to pose a question asking which car you would want to be in if they were to hit something head on, not each other.
    I dont think there's a question as to who would be the "winner" in a F150 vs Mini.

But then again, that hypothetical question assumes that both the mini and the F150 were to his exactly head on. If they were to hit offset, then it is very likely that the Mini would veer (after the hit) and move towards the offset side, causing the F150 to go airborne, with a small possibility of rolling over.

There are just too many variables for any of this "Car 1 vs Car 2" to be legitimate. These tests are only good for testing a car hitting a stationary object.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Regardless of who hit what and where the answer is obvious if you talked to the owners. Nobody is a "winner" in an accident. :eek:

In a head to head the F150 has momentum behind it and the higher bumper would be a problem, but since the mini is so light in comparison a lot of the collision energy would be soaked up in pushing the mini back and disapated in the crumple zones.

Overall I am impressed with the Mini... if it wasn't for the $38,000+ sticker on the Cooper S I'd make it my toy and my Matrix would have to settle for being my daily driver. Right now my Matrix is my toy & daily driver.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Not according to some of my large truck driving friends... basically
    "If i get in an accident, i want the bigger car."

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd say the cemetary, body shop, tow truck company, salvage yard, etc.