Mini Coopers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by swiftaw, Mar 19, 2007.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hey,

I noticed a few people in other threads mentioning their Mini Cooper and I was interested how may MRers have one and how much they like it. Also feel free to post pics of your cooper.

I'm on my 2nd one, I got a black 2004 MCS in November 2003 and then traded it in in May 2006 for a 2006 Pure Silver MCS.

Also, I was lucky enough to be invited for a look around the new dealership that is opening in Omaha in a couple of weeks so I got to have a close look at the new redesigned 2007 Cooper. Mostly subtle changes on the outside, but certainly a completely redesigned interior.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm on my second, in the UK. First was a greeny-coloured MC, but now I have a 'Cool Blue' MCSC JCW. I was really enjoying the spring sunshine in it, too, but that's buggered off now...

3. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, I really wanted the JCW, but couldn't justify the expense. I'm thinking about doing to 15% pulley modification though to get an extra 15-20 bhp out of the thing - not that it ain't quick anyways. :)

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Are they really as fast as depicted in the movie The Italian Job?

5. bartelby macrumors Core

6. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, I believe that in the US that they are electronically restricted to top out at 140mph. However, there are pretty quick off the mark, for a small engined car they can accelerate pretty darn quickly (certainly the S can)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sweet cars for sure but overpriced in a big way, I just bought a new car and in fact take delivery of it today, wanted a Mini but even the base cars was 3-4 thousand more then the asian makes I was looking at.:mad: Oh well thats the way the cookie crumbles.

8. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, if the were $2-3k cheaper it would be the perfect price point I think. It is probably because they are built in the UK

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, They really have a unique look and handle great but when you figure value into the equation the price point is just to high for the ordinary joe like me. Just unloaded my MGB I had for almost 12 years and would have loved to have replaced it with a mini. Why is it that stuff made in the UK cost so much?

I think siftaw will find a lot of mini drivers here at rumors.

10. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

And at this point I realised we were talking about the new ones :D

11. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Who's siftaw? :D

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Beets me:D Coffee hasnt worked its magic yet sorry Swiftaw. If you go to the post your car thread you will find lots of Mini's in there.

13. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

High £/$ ratio I guess. But the Mini is overpriced here, and I live in the town where it's built... :rolleyes: I don't think I could get delivery fees removed from the final price if I offered to pick it up from the factory...

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Hahah probably because PDI is done at the dealer not at the factory, in line with the warranties.

Oh also me and my friend went to test drive one, he drives a Clio V6!! they refused a test drive (he was looking to buy) on the grounds "it's a high performance vehicle" absolute tosh!! it's slow and a hell of a lot slower than a Renault Sport Clio V6!!!!!!! craziness, puts me off when you get snobbish BMW salesmen selling mini's

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The old Mini Coopers are faster than the new BMW makes.

Weigh bugger all.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about that. I bought my Mini Cooper in 2003 for around $17,500. You can load them up with all sorts of options and bump the price well into the mid-20s, but it's hardly necessary. I've owned quite a few cars over the years (including an MG), but this one is by far the most fun to drive. They're going to have to bury me in this car. I don't plan on selling it, ever. How much better can you do for $17,500?

BTW, chile red and white -- the best color combination! ;)

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You live in Cowley? More than 15 years ago I lived in Heddington for a few months. In fact I rented a room from a woman who worked at the old Austin-Rover factory, when they were still making the Sterling. I walked by the factory a few times.

When I placed my Mini order I asked about factory delivery. BMW does this for the cars they manufacture in Germany. Even after paying for shipping, the difference in price (duties being the largest savings) pays for a nice holiday, driving your own car around Europe. So I thought they might make this plan available for the Mini. No dice. Apparently the UK insurance system makes this virtually impossible to accomplish economically.

18. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Actually I live in Marston - I figured a minor detail to an international audience as found on MR!

I have never properly looked into it, having never actually bought a car from a dealer. I guess the vehicle is not registered to the new owner - at which point you can get insurance for that particular car - until it is delivered to the dealer and they do the registration paperwork. So yeah... to be insured to drive any old car is not really a goer here.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well for all practical purposes, Marston is Cowley. :)

Somehow BMW manages factory delivery on the continent. Shame it can't be done in the UK. Of course an additional complication is taking delivery of a left-hand drive car in right-hand drive country. Perhaps no insurance carrier is willing to assume the risk of drivers taking on that particular challenge.

20. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

So I have to ask: why Mini Coopers?

I sort of understand buying one if it's a second or third car, or if you're rich enough to afford a "play" car - which I'm certainly not.

But as a primary vehicle to drive around you or your family in on a daily basis, it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Anyone?

21. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I could go on but a mod will tell me off for spamming.

The Mini is, and has been for 40 years a very cool car.

22. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Watch it, there are some nice middle class families around here who might take exception to that! :) (not me included, I might add)

Well, for someone in my position (relatively young, no family) they are no less sensible than any mid-sized hatchback. My current car (a beloved but aged Daihatsu Charade) is pretty much all I need, and a Mini is substantially bigger. My problem with the Mini is that they are pretty pricey, but it is a bit of a premium brand, and Mac lovers seem to be prepared to pony up a bit more.

23. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Why doesn't it make any sense? Claiming it is not big enough? I have had 4 adults in it quite comfortably, plus I have used it to haul quite a large amount of furniture (the cargo space is quite big if you fold down the rear seats).

It makes more sense than using a 8 mpg SUV to drive too and from the store.

BTW, this is my only car.

24. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Why not? Hatchbacks are extremely practical for one person or a couple.

25. iGav macrumors G3

out of all the things that could be said about the MINI, being small is not one of them. It's huge.