Mini disconnecting from Airport network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diyjoe, Mar 30, 2007.

1. diyjoe macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini plugged into my TV, which also acts as a file and MP3 server, connected to my Airport network.

Trouble is, if you don't use it for a while, it disconnects itself from the airport network. The airport network still appears in the airport menu and I can reconnect manually with no problems. I also have two other macs connected to the same network that never disconnect themselves.

It's quite annoying because quite often when I want to access my files I have to go into another room and reconnect.

Software updates are all bang up to date.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is the Mac mini going to sleep when it's not used? This will cause the network to become disconnected. If this is the cause, the solution is to go into System Preferences -> Energy Saver and tell the computer to never go to sleep.

3. diyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Already checked that - sleep option is set to 'never' for both computer and display. Only option I have set is to put hard discs to sleep when not in use.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay - next thing to check is your mini's AirPort reception. Open up Internet Connect, click AirPort, and check the number of bars of signal strength you have. If you're getting a weak signal, or a signal that wildly fluctuates in strength, or both, you may need to either move the Mac mini or add an AirPort Express near the mini as a repeater to boost the signal in that area. I had to do this in my bedroom in my house, as I get consistently poor AirPort reception there.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Funny I had that same thing happen in my last 2 macbooks.... I have a PC now and it has never happend again....:eek:

6. diyjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mini is literally 6" away from Airport Extreme base station - there's always a full reception indicator.

The strange thing is that it never seems to disconnect when there's network activity - always when left for a few hours doing nothing.

Thanks for your help, BTW - really appreciate it!